I can't understand why people believe that God created two people from dust, that a man took two of each animal on the earth into a great ark, that Daniel slew a lion in his own den...Do you really believe these, and other things from the Bible?

I guess my surprise stems from the fact that some people take the Bible so literally. It's plain to me that people don't rise from the dead after a few days and that bushes don't speak. I'm not bashing, but curious as to why people really believe thes things happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's called faith. It's an amazing thing.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:33 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yeah, the whole "faith" thing and the fact that "with God, anything is possible!"

I agree with you, OP. But not everyone takes the Bible literally. Some Christians think the stories in the Bible are just fables that teach good lessons.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:35 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• God created one person from the dust (Adam). Eve was created from Adam's rib.

Noah gathered 7 of every clean and 2 of every unclean animal onto the ark. I'm not certain that this would have actually ended up being an outrageous amount of animals.

Daniel was thrown into the den for praying to God and God closed the mouths of the lions (no lions were hurt in the making of this wonderful event lol).

I believe because my God can do all things :-) I find it no more difficult to believe that God did those things than it would be for me to believe that we're all here by accident from a giant explosion and slithering out of primordial ooze.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:37 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Hey, the Ancients believed whole-heartedly in some strange myths as well and today we think they were misguided and weird.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:38 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• OP here- NovemberLove, thanks for the corrections.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I really dont take things in the Bible literally. I feel that its a collection of stories. Christianity is a fairly new religion. Its not as old as everyone likes to think it is, and the Illiad and several other epic poems and stories written around the same time as events that take place in the Bible have similar moral stories. Not to mention, every religion has the same story line, so and so came and was the Son, and died in a tragic way. OP, I believe in science. Science has proven so much and I dont see how so many can see the SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION AND PROOF, and still believe every single thing that was written in the Bible.

I have faith, and I believe in a higher power. But I dont take everything literally.
    Anonymous

• I found it very hard to understand why people believe that aliens created us or that after a big bang and billions of years a single cell changed into every kind of animal and even a man!! It makes more sense to believe in one Almighty God who controlled it all! Either way it takes faith.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Lol you're welcome. I don't know if it made it any more "believeable" or not for you but I thought I'd try :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:43 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• all i would like to add is, these stories are still around, have been for soooooo many years, practically everyone has heard of the Bible and Jesus/God (how many religions are there?), what would move so many people all over the world to have such a common ground and belief in something higher and more powerful: faith
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Science has proven so much and I dont see how so many can see the SCIENTIFIC EXPLANATION AND PROOF, and still believe every single thing that was written in the Bible.
    ----------
    Science and religion never have to collide and I'm so confused as to why people think that they do! :-) The purpose of the Bible is not to be the history of the world and ALL of it's cultures and people. It's not meant to be a catalogue of all animals in existence during the time it was written. It's not an ancient encyclopedia, dictionary or National Geographic. Cannonized scripture serves the purpose of forerunning the coming of salvation and telling us how to accept it now that it's here. The information is as pertinent to the Judaeo-Christian faith; it's not a science text book. Just because something isn't in the Bible, doesn't mean that the Bible is claiming it doesn't exist.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:47 AM on Jul. 28, 2009