Daycare or not?

I don't NEED to use daycare. I'm thinking about sending my 11 month old to a daycare 1 day a week, probably only a half day. I want him to get socialized, and he is a little behind on his physical development. I thought that maybe being around the other kids would motivate him to do more ( he JUST started crawling and won't pull himself up). If I send him a half day it will only be around $25.

Do you think it would help him? He is a mommy boy, would daycare help get him off of his mommy addiction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, I NEEDED to send him but he only goes part time - I started him at 16 months at 3 half days - he CRIED for 2 months at every drop off - its hard because Kids do need routine and this can throw some kids off because 1 time a week only half a day is hard when he's away from mommy and around people he doesn't know
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well have you had him evaluated by Early Intervention for his delays? If he qualifies, he can be in an EI program with other kids for free. If it was me, I would look into things like play gyms for babies, that way he gets something for the money you're spending. It's great to socialize him, but I'd want to be getting something for my money.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:55 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If you don't need it, could you find a play group in your area instead?? Save your money.
    Unless YOU are wanting the 1/2 day of no baby time.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 11:56 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with say tay. I think if you could find a play group that might be a better option. I worked at a daycare and unfortunately I see much more negatives in sending your child to daycare than positives. (Not to bash anyone who NEEDS to use it)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I've been sending my 4.5 mos old to daycare full time since she was about 13 wks (I work full-time). She was very very clingy when she first went and I think it did help her to be more ok with entertaining herself. I think the socialization aspect is great. She's been around other babies since a young age and by now, she is very familiar with and loves the two daycare workers. It is an excellent center and she has only been sick about 2 times. If you can find a good one, I recommend it. We do pay a fortune, but it's worth the money.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think if your going to do it on a regular basis, like everyday because your working then it's easier for them to adjust, but only doing one half day woudl be hard -- I would look for a free play group instead.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 12:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I noticed at that age it helped a lot. The first day she was talking more clear, she loved playing with the kids and learning new things, it helps get them on a schedule, and I would suggest it to anyone. EVen part time. The trick is finding one that takes part time for that age. And when you go to check them out, don't call ahead. Just show up.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• a family friend of mine sent her daughter to daycare when she was 3 years old and she got bacterial megitis (sp?) from one of the other kids and almost died, they had to cut off bother of her arms and one of her legs to stop the infection.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If you dont' NEED daycare, I would wait. Definitely get him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician if he's way behind. Take him places where there are other babies/toddlers: I take my son to the local library for baby lapsit where they sing songs, do fingerplays, read toddler books and then have a short playtime for the babies; the local playground, my son is only 8 months and is pulling up but not much else, but he loves to crawl around in the sand and in the tot lot, watching the other kids; i attend church on Sundays and he enjoys staying in the nursery; some malls have small playgrounds for young children. I would hold off on the daycare/ preschool for another year or two.

Answer by missanc at 2:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Good heavens. Spot the crazy answer, people.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009