How easy was it to transition from breastmilk to milk?

My DD turns 1 tomorrow and I'm starting a full time job on Monday (I just got it today). Well, she has been EBF and I've got to get her to start drinking milk 'cause I'm not going to go to the trouble of pumping this late 'cause even when I tried, I wasn't getting hardly anything with the pump. I'm going to hate having to leave her for 10 hours at daycare w/out breastfeeding her, but I have to. She won't take a bottle, but she'll take a sippy cup. So, how easy was it for your baby to transition?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No need for her to take a bottle. You are actually supposed to take them off the bottle at age 1, so don't put her on one now. It was different for my different kids. My oldest did not like cow's milk until he was in preschool. Both of my younger ones liked it right away. If your child does not like cow's milk, give her water instead for liquids, and make sure she has adequate amounts of protein, calcium and fats from other sources in her diet.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well just FYI you can still nurse her while together. I stopped pumping at work when DD was 11 months old because she refused a bottle while I was gone. She is now 25 months old and still nurses. If you do that then you do not have to give her cow's milk at all. If you do choose to completely wean then you should. I would not recommend a bottle, but a cup instead. If she successfully takes a sippy with other things now then I would just let daycare start giving her milk in it and see how it goes. If you are not there she may very easily take it. If not then daycare can give her water/juice in the cup if you choose.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You don't even need her to have cow's milk. Water is fine for hydration and the nutrients she needs are in the foods you feed her.

We didn't have trouble, per se...my son could take or leave cow's milk, leaving it more often than taking it, but I was unconcerned and my doc has since advised to minimize the dairy anyway due to his Asperger's symptoms.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, I highly encourage you to continue nursing whileyou are at home. Your supply will adjust. At 1 you don't NEED to give a bottle. I would give milk in a sippy cup for the nutrient value, and just make sure she is being offered lots of snacks and of course meals at daycare.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I had a hard time as my son could definitely tell there was a difference b/t the 2 milks and would not drink the whole milk...I was told to mix them for a few days, so if the baby is drinking 6oz... do 4 oz breast and 2 whole for the 1st day, then do 3oz of breast and 3oz of whole, then 2 oz of breast, 4 oz whole... by just a few days they will be completely on whole milk- worked perfectly for my son! good luck
    haileyd7

Answer by haileyd7 at 12:25 PM on Jul. 29, 2009