Bed Wetting- WTF!!

SoOo.. Yesterday morning my son comes into the kitchen for breakfast and is surprised to find that his shorts are wet, he asks me why and we discover he wet the bed, no big deal, accident. We cleaned it up and went on with our day. This morning, he comes in to my room with a sinister little smirk on his face, telling me he's all wet and that he must have done it when he woke up.. Aghhh!! He has never never had accidents before now, and there is no excuse for this. What should I do to prevent this from happening again?

danichaos

Asked by danichaos at 12:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• since its a "new" thing.... i would not even make a big deal out of it (b/c then it becomes a THING)
    I would do the no liq. b/f bed AND
    have him change his bed (at the least can get the sheets and his clothes into the hamper and get new underwear etc.) and if the linens are at an okay height -- get new linens.
    (I have my just turned 4 do it when she wets the bed -- she wears night diapers always)

When he sees you shrugging it off and realizes he has to do the extra work himself he'll see the natural consequences.

I happens, even a couple of days in a row. (If you don't have plastic sheets underneath I'd get some and just always leave them on).
    Now if it goes on for like a week straight -- then I'd talk to the ped.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• how old is he?
    Anonymous

• Oh, he is 4.. turns 5 in October
    danichaos

Answer by danichaos at 12:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My lil sister started doing this when she was 5 and didnt stop til she was 7! Everynight. My hubby said he would wet the bed until he was 13. Maybe put a pull up on, or the sheet that u put on top of the regular sheet in case he does it again then u can just change that top sheet.
    Anonymous

• Sorry mom but he is a toddler and accidents will happen, you can put a protective cover over the mattress, stop fluids about a n hour before bedtime, have him use the bathroom before going to sleep, and wake him in the morning to go pee. Sometimes when they grow there bladder doesnt catch up as fast and accidents happen, some kids are hard sleepers, some dont wake up until it is too late. If it continues, you can talk to his Dr. but htey dont get to worried until after age 7 because before that age it is prety common
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• 4.. ok well mine pees the bed occasionally as well hes 4, and its not everyday. i think maybe if it happens again talk to him and find out why. dont let it become an oh well accidents happen thing, bc he might be doing it on purpose.
    Anonymous

• My sons 3 hasnt peed the bed since he was two.I would find that he would pee his bed uring "nap" time and i knew it was on purpose.I swatted his legs and told him that was bad and that he needed to pee in the potty before laying down,I always make him go pee before laying down however if he had intention of peeing the bed he wouldnt go.A little bit of tough love and he stopped it.He had complete controll.
    Anonymous

• hes he maybe drinking to much before bed? or maybe he needs to see doctor, could be blader infection, uti, or anything. good luck.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• stop all liquids about a hr befor bed and make them pee befor laying down if they pee to bed at night...my dd now is only peeing to bed when she comes back form her dads...i believe this is b/c he still sticks pull ups on her i know have made it a habit to put a chuck under her sheet so if she has a accident it saves her mattress also i have a reward syestem in effect here to if she doesnt pee to bed then she gets ice cream her choice or a pop sicle
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 7:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have 2 boys that when they were potty trained, would occasionally have an accident. When they started kindergarten, they wet their beds every night. I don't know if it is due to playing hard/sleeping hard or stress. I think that it might be a little of both. My oldest stopped wetting the bed when he was 10. My 2nd ds is 7 & still wets the bed almost every night. My 7-year-old has a protective plastic covering on his mattress.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:48 AM on Jul. 29, 2009