did you know Catholic Charities not only helped the poor but also helped teens understand the need to help others?

I don't live in Arkansas but I this story touched me. This is why I want my daughter to help in our church.

Through Catholic Charities Summer Institute, teens learned the reality of what it is like to be poor and vulnerable in Arkansas.

About 51 high school students convened at St. John Center in Little Rock July 6-10. They not only learned more about what Catholic Charities does, but got involved in the ministry with their hands, landscaping around a shelter for the homeless, visiting a food kitchen, working at St. Augustine Center for Children, walking in the path of the homeless, volunteering at the Arkansas Food Bank, praying in front of an abortion clinic and visiting the St. Joseph Helpers, a pregnancy resource center, across the street.

All came away with an expectation to start doing something for the poor in their local communities.

http://www.arkansascatholic.org/article.php?id=1798

drink-lover

Asked by drink-lover at 12:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That is soooo cool. Thanks for sharing that. Teens are really special to me. I have such a burden for them. My husband is a High School youth pastor and I teach in the high schools too. Our whole life revolves around the youth in out community. Anyways, YES! they need to have something to live for other than themselves. Serving the community and on the mission field opens their eyes to God's amazing plan for their lives. Sooo Cooool.

We take the kids places all the time to serve people and share the love of Jesus. It is so important.

Get your dd involved!!!!
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• wow. never new that
    Anonymous

• I love stories like that.
    Anonymous

• Teens at summer institute come away inspired to help poor

You are too quick. Here is the clickable link.  Glad you enjoyed it. I think it is important for our kids to learn to help others.

drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 12:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• That's great but the Catholic church also teaches that people in poor countries should use no birth control while the pope lives in opulence. Sorry not impressed.

Anonymous

• This is one reason I am so excited that we were able to get my oldest into Catholic school for Kindergarten in the Fall. They have different charities they help out as well as a used clothing drop box that the kids help take care of. I try to stress this sort of thing at home with my kids and it's really great that it will be reiterated in school for them.
    Anonymous

___

Ever heard of NFP? Sorry not impressed with your obvious hate for the Catholic Church
    Anonymous

• No I don't hate the Catholic Church, I hate the opulence and obvious disregard of the church hierarchy for the poor. Natural family planning is very effective if used properly, however, this requires a lot of education and a way to track your cycle. Most people in poor countries are more worried about feeding themselves than proper NFP.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Sorry not impressed with your obvious hate for the Catholic Church
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Can't handle a question or an observation? Go to Mexico and see how your precious church has "helped the poor", see how effective natural family planning is.

Explane to me how a man who has never married and we assume has never had children can presume to tell people how to run their marriages or when to have kids? This goes from your local parish priest to the Pope himself.

Anonymous