Can children become shy?

My 15 month old loves people. He would crawl up to anyone, pull up on their chairs, reach up to get held. He really loved going up to people. The past month I have been noticing that if we are at the doctors office and someone comes in, he will come crawling back to me quickly and sit at my feet. Or if we have company he sits at my feet or tugs for me to hold him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, it is normal, it is developmental stage he is going throught. he will go through many.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My daughter has always been like this >
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 1:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my oldest is like that. she's 8 and is really very shy, only when she got to school did she start coming out of her shell.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I read that around 18 months they go through more seperation anxiety - my son isn't a social one so I don't exactly know.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• it's normal, and doesn't mean your child will be shy forever. mine went through this at around 8 months, 15 months, and now just got over it again at 2. It comes and goes. Just comfort your child and reasure them by being friendly with these people os he sees it's okay. No worries.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 2:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009