I am raising a badly beaved 2 1/2 year old monster- HELP!

I have tried everything from time outs to spanking her butt. I just dont get these temper tantrums.
Her dad left early this year (we're getting a divorce) and he only sees her once a week sometimes less. She's acting out and I cant take it anymore. NOTHING WORKS!

NewTakeOnLife09

Asked by NewTakeOnLife09 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• My DD throws temper tantrums like that to and I just ignore her unless I think she is goin to hurt herself or her siblings. She usually stops in about 5 mins and says I'm done.

Anonymous

• i agree with the above.... just ignore the best u can sooner or later they see it isent working..and move on. but she might be rebelling cause of dad which is hard for you and her..maybe if dad called everynight before bedtime to talk to her ( as best as a 2 1/2 yr old can talk ) if u too have ill feelings toward each other just think its for the kid.....im sorry u deal with this its hard when they act up and its u dealing with it...( be happy yours isent droping the f bomb were still dealing with that..but getting better ) good luck mama...xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 12:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Discipline might not be the answer. It's hard on toddlers when a parent leaves. That is probably at the root, and she feels insecure. Yes, continue to discipline bad behavior, but make sure she's getting some extra positive attention during this transition.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• like the previous posts....just ignore it. It's terrible 2's and it's a pain in the butt for us Moms. Could be a little more due to the separation but it's going to happen. Ignoring it isn't always easy. My youngest just turned 3 and when he has his tantrums (since about 18 months!) I put him in his room and let him go....scream, yell, kick, I don't care. He can't hurt himself, he can't hurt anyone else and if he is learning it's okay to get it out rather than bottle it up I think that's a good thing. Good luck.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If DD was a daddy's girl that could be part of it. having her dad fone might help. It could also be happen chance that it is happening at the same time as the separation. Does she have a photo of her Dad maybe in a frame by her bed or even to carry around with her? Just ignoring really works best if it is just a stage in growing but if it is from her Dad being gone, try to think of things that will help DD still have her Daddy around. I wish I could be more helpful, I wish you and your little one the best.
    decafsis

Answer by decafsis at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• What do you do when she throws a tantrum? I am "usually" good at dealing with it, but my husband gets instantly frustrated and gets upset very fast and it almost doubles the length of the fits - what are they over? what type of things does she do?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i feel being mad back will not work you need to when she starts, do the oppisite, dont get mad or scream at her maybe start tickeling her or playing around tell her your so cute when your mad, kids only act like that when they see you doing it. might be hard but it works with my kids.good luck.
    momof3102

Answer by momof3102 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009