What are some healthy, high calorie foods for a toddler/baby?

My son is kind of under weight so I'm trying to find food that has higher calories. He is 11 months and weighs just a little over 16 pounds. I just don't know what to feed him, I don't want to give him all kinds of fat and bad stuff just more calories.

I don't really know how to word what I'm trying to say...... hmmm more calories but still healthy. Like, I know Big Macs have a ton of calories but they are all fat and grease I won't give him that. I already heard of the super foods book, I need other suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He will gain weight when his body is ready too. Do not rush him or try to force him to gain weight. IMO that is wrong. Many children are smaller than others, my oldest was and she is just fine, she is still a bit petite but she is perfectly healthy. I would advise you NOT to meddle with this, every child is different.
    Anonymous

• Did the MD tell you he was under wieght??
    We used (under Md's order's) pediasure and sugar free carnation instant breakfast mix.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 12:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Avocados are healthy with lots of the "good fats."
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If your doctor is concerned that there are lots of things you can give him.

-You can feed him chunks of avocado.
    -You can sprinkle hemp seeds on his food. (can be purchased at health food stores or online. They also make hemp milk.)
    -You can cook his veggies in olive oil or make an olive oil based dressing for him to dip veggies and crackers in.

Contact a nutritionist to talk about the right foods and right amount of extra calories for your LO's spacific needs. GOOD LUCK MAMA!
    Anonymous

• My 2nd son was 15 lbs at 12 months, he was very tiny! But he was healthy. Our family eats very healthy and the dr. did tell us to start him on some foods with more fat in them - babies need some fat. My pedi recommended mixing in some real butter with mashed potatoes, whole milk, avocado (like others have mentioned), yogurt that is NOT lowfat (sometimes hard to find), different cheeses.

Answer by missanc at 2:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009