do you think that when you skip meals it makes your milk supply low?

this morning i was so busy with my kids i forgot to eat breakfast and i was breast feeding a few minutes ago and my 3 week old was acting fussy and kept breaking the latch and whining- at first i thought maybe it was gas but then i squeezed my nipple to express some milk and it took more tries than normal and when the flow started it was really light and came out in only a few drops not the normal squirting flow- but now i just ate and hes at the breast dribbling milk down his chin lol- do u think my flow was affected by not eating?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so, it seems to with me. I also get low blood sugar and feel light headed and shaky if I skip a meal while breastfeeding, so I'm careful not to!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Answered over in the general section.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's defenatly made a difference for me.
    Anonymous

• It has never made a difference. What you casn express means nothing. Babies go through frequent growth spurts that make it seem like they're starving but it's normal.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 1:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Never made a difference for me. I have to force myself to eat and my little guy is a chunky baby.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Never made a difference for me. When I was on maternity leave with her, I hardly had time to eat, she wouldn't let me! I was worried my milk supply would suffer but it never did. I don't eat anymore than I did before bf'ing and she has always gained enough weight.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't think it affects me, but them I am overweight! I have plenty of stored food. Lol! I do notice a difference if I am not drinking enough water.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009