When does the Want to come back????

I just had our second daughter 3 weeks ago. I know in my mind everything I need to do but I CAN"T get myself to do it. No matter what I tell myself I just continue to want to sleep which I can't do becuase I have a 3 1/2 yr old. When does that drive to want to get off your butt and do something come back. I have no eneregy to want to do anything and it's driving my daughter crazy. I want to be supermom and I'm not doing so hot. How do you mom's get up and do it everyday???

pammy_d09

Asked by pammy_d09 at 12:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it possible that the post partum blues are kicking in for you??
    Make yourself get up and shower every day. Create a schedule, and "fake your way thorough it" until you suddenly see that you aren't faking it anymore..
    Also, with a 3 week old, there still isn't much you should be doing. You earned the right to take it easy for a few weeks.

Ps. Supermom doesn't exist. SHe is a figment of our imagination.
    say_tay

Answer by say_tay at 12:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Actually, Supermom DOES exist...but she is currently residing in Arkham Asylum, wearing one of those lovely white jackets with extra-long sleeves.

Your newborn is THREE WEEKS OLD. That is a "get out of everything" pass valid for at least another month. And then you get back into things slowly.

It's OK to not want to do things that are not necessary for survival. If your blahs extend to not wanting to eat or feed your family, then there's a problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• With both children, and you recovering from giving birth, you are allowed to feel tired and to be recovering. If you can afford it, see if you can get somebody in to clean and maybe even cook. Then you can concentrate and yourself and the children. We couldn't afford it, so I just let anything go that I could for a while until I felt more like it. Try to lie down when the children are napping.

Answer by Bmat at 1:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was right where you are not long ago. While I wouldn't say I'm back to normal, whatever that is, I'm a little better. You'll get there too. When my daughter was three weeks old I had the same question as you. You've earned the right to sit down and not have a spotless house or every shred of cleaning done. And I agree that Supermom is in the asylum.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009