How did you conquer night time eating?

I do okay during the day with the foods I consume. But once the sun goes down, its like all I want to do is eat. EVERY NIGHT I go to sleep with a full belly and its so discouraging!!! To try so hard during the day to exercise and eat reasonably and then blow it every single night!!! So, if you have struggled with eating at night, what did you do to over come it? Any suggestions to help me get victory in this area?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 12:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I would say no activties after 7pm, dont think about eating, do a puzzel, fill in crosswords, sew, anything to not think about it.. dont sit around and watch tv cause that just make ppl want to eat.. you have to eat every two hrs something small cause if not then you arnt helping your self..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 12:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Clean your teeth right after supper. Floss, rinse with mouthwash, brush. :)

Answer by Bmat at 1:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i know exactly what you mean. laying in bed and your stomach is growling and you cant sleep and shit. i used to take tylenol pm's so that i could fall asleep right away, lol. but i dont think thats too good for your body either. you just have to do it. keep yourself busy, remind yourself that you made it through the whole day, why ruin it now and look forward to what your gonna eat the next day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I drink water.

keep my hands and mind busy so I can't think about it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• drink water (to fill you up), chew gum (gives you the motion of chewing).       are you maybe craving something? I find when I eat and eat and never seem to get full is because I'm not satisfying a craving or something I maybe lacking or cut out of my diet. for instance I don't like chocolate very much, but I have kisses in the freezer, when I find I can't stop or I don't know what I'm craving for, I take out one kiss and all of a sudden I'm done.  

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 2:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• After you've eaten your evening meal you should find something to keep your mind/hands busy. Reading, working on a craft, etc. Sip water or decaf tea to keep something in your stomach.

I always have an evening snack. NOT a meal, just a snack. A small bowl of applesauce with a graham cracker, 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, or a dill pickle and a few slices of hard cheese. It takes the edge off so that I can sleep and I don't wake up during the night with hunger pangs and low blood sugar (I'm diabetic). These are small snacks you can take a bite of here and there throughout the evening or you can choose to eat all at once.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• go to sleep
    Anonymous

• Gee, thanks, Anonymous #7. That really helps at 7 PM and with 5 children that require care beyond that time.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 6:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• well what do you eat for dinner? try eating your normal dinner and then an additional salad or veggies that you can eat but not feel guilty about. i would also suggest going to sleep early but i guess you don't like that suggestion. i mean your kids probably go to sleep at a reasonable hour....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you for posting this question!....here it's almost 11 pm and my stomach is growling!! I can't believe somebody actually said 'go to sleep' haha yeah that isn't efficient with kids. The few hours after mine go to sleep is my quiet time..unfortuntely it's snack time too. I don't like drinking alot of fluids after 8 otherwise I'm waking up all night to pee. BUT I have discovered a few crackers with salt on them (ritz) helps with the night time hunger...it has enough flavor and crunch to satisfy and if you chew slowly and take a few minutes to finish a few cracker you get that full feeling. BTW my kids got into my ritz today...so I'm probably going to grab some rice. lol I hope you get some good suggestions!!
    kjb9585

Answer by kjb9585 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 29, 2009