• In the Spotlight:

my 7 year old daughter is exparamenting with her self is this normal?

she uses various things like the jets on tub or the back massager. I try not to say anything about it but make her go in her room or tell her she can't do that with others around. She gets real embarrassed. What is a good way to handle this cause my oldest daughter didnt do this. Any feed back will be appreciated thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I did it. It is completely normal. I think you are handling it right. My mom would yell at me and tell me how gross I was. :(
    Tell her it is normal, but that she needs to only do it in her room.
    Anonymous

• oh man, that is gross though. i didnt know i had a vagina til 5th grade when they told me in health class. i can't believe kids these days
    Anonymous

• explain the birds and the bees early , make sure she understands what is not acceptable to do in public, and also she may need more hugs from you liking affection more she may be affection hungary show her how to be appropriately affectionate by rubbing her feat ect., make this an outlet for her and get her around some boys her age she may be an early bloomer just tell her to mind herself-VBS is a great church camp for kids! Is she lonely?
    Anonymous

• It is not gross she is probably a extrovert and a people person I am guessing?very loveable people can be this way. reign her in a bit though
    Anonymous

• I gree with all of the above. Very well said to all!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I just tell my kids... uh! what are you doing?

Don't be doing that around people you need to do this at a private time when you are having your own privacy. They just kind of stop and do whatever they were doing prior to this and go with it,

Just don't freak out then they will feel it is a very bad thing.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Children do these things! They're not doing it in a sexual way, as has been mentioned, they just do it! All you can say is that it is a private thing and that you would rather not see her or anyone else doing it. Don't make an issue out of it... if shes still doing it when shes older then worry!!!!
    Dooberrydoo

Answer by Dooberrydoo at 5:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Totally normal. I experimented at a very young age. I remember when I was 4 or 5, I stuck crayons in my vag. Not for pleasure or anything, but more for exploration, I suppose. Then around 7 to 9, I masturbated and experimented more, but it still didn't feel good, so idk wtf I was doing, lol. But it's totally normal for boys and girls around that age to start realizing they have fun body parts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• its not just kids these days like one of the above "anon" posted will make you believe. I am 45 and kids were doing that when I was a kid and they were doing that before I was born.
    Just do what you are doing . tell her that is a private thing and do it in your room. Do not tell her she is bad for doing it or that it is gross......it is natural
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Wow I have the same thing going on with my 8yr old daughter. My question though is she to young to have the talk with? and if i should i really dont know what to say? any thing will help thanks!
    shortey26

Answer by shortey26 at 3:43 AM on Jul. 31, 2009