Is switching my son to cloth diapers a good idea, we can't escape the dreaded diaper rash with disposables!

brandynicole_01

Asked by brandynicole_01 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Probably. My mother had to do that with me. Are you using Desitin or any other product on your baby every diaper change?

Anonymous

• Cloth diapers are less expensive than disposables, especially if you do the laundering yourself. All-in-ones and cloth "diapering systems" that close with snaps or Velcro, are almost as easy to use as disposable diapers. But you still have to wash them. Despite a resurgence in the popularity of cloth diapers, disposable diapers remain the most popular choice among today's parents, as well as day-care centers and hospitals. A disposable diaper is an absorbent pad sandwiched between two sheets of nonwoven fabric. The pad contains chemical crystals that can absorb up to 800 times their weight in liquid and hold it in gel form. This helps keep liquid away from your baby's skin, so you can leave him in one longer than in a cloth diaper without causing him discomfort.

In other words, if you have the time to continuously wash diapers, then go for it! It a great way to go green while protecting your baby from chemical exposure!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 1:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• After the baby has had a bowel movement and wetted take the baby a quick bath let the baby diaperless for now and let some natural air hit that area that should help, try not to put nothing on it for now. GL

Just be ready to catch the next potty break...LOL Don't worry it will clear up soon
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Cloth was the ONLY thing that would clear up a rash on our second. We tried every brand of cream, even prescription! Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 1:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I used cloth for all three of my girls. they were all (and still are) sensitive to the scents, and aloe vera in disposable diapers.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:26 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Have you tried organic disposables?

Anonymous

• My son got horrible rashes in disposables, from his fat pad area all the way to the back would be red and nasty. We went to cloth at 5 months. He still gets a little rash now and then, but its not nearly as bad, and it goes away on its own. I think a couple of times we had to put on a disposable with cream, maybe 2 times, but both those times were after we tried dairy and he has an intolerance, so its not really the diapers fault, it was his poop was awful. I love them.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 3:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009