For NJ residents:Has anyone heard of FMLA paying 6 weeks for new moms?

My company doesn't really offer maternity leave. Instead we're supposed to go on NJ Disability for 6-8 paid weeks (depending on the situation). My coworker who is still on leave from having her baby said FMLA is now offering 6 weeks paid leave for anyone who has a baby after July and is eligible. I've showed the website to all of my bosses and they all agreed that I am. However, no one from H.R. know anything about this. Is there anyone who would be able to give me anymore info? I'm also wondering if the 6 weeks of NJ Disability are the same as the FMLA's 6 paid weeks? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

msnicole88

Asked by msnicole88 at 1:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am from NJ and yes I have heard of it..

How can noone from HR not know about it..

My HR rep is the one that told me about it..

I would try contacting your payroll company...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• If you google NJ Paid family leave you can find all kinds of information. My understanding is that you would not get both the paid State plan AND the NJ FMLA plan. This plan benefits people who normally wouldnt be eligible for Short Term Disability through the State plan. The baby's father might be eligible, an adoptive parent would be eligible, etc.

The plan went into effect in January but claims couldnt be submitted til 7-01-09. This is funded by taxes taken out of your paycheck and the rules for NJ FMLA are LESS strict than the rules are for NJ Short Term Disaibility.

Anonymous

• If your company has less than 50 employees that may explain why HR has not heard of it. It is only offered for company's with more than 50 employees. If you have more than 50 then they are giving you a line of crap and just don't want to deal with FMLA.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 8:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009