Not listening.....

My DD is 3.5 and has always obeyed me and listened very well. I usually don't have to tell her more than once or twice to do something. For the past week, she has quit listening and will just stand there and look at me when I tell her to do something. How do I need to discipline for this? How do I get it stopped before it gets worse?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• smack her hand to wake her up and use more firm voice, read her the book of proverbs too !
    Anonymous

• take her by the arm and show her exactly what you expect from her? time out? is she talking back or just looking at you like " i am not doing that"? she' probably re-testing you
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My two year old does this sometimes. My husband reminds me that being a toddler means their brains toddle too.  Sometimes they need a reboot.  Gently direct her and then if she continues not to listen, time outs can be useful.  I wouldn't be too harsh.

yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• She may just be testing. I would recommend having her repeat your request, along with any consequences as they may apply. If she chooses to not listen, one of the things that help with my son, who's 4, is to "replace the batteries in his listening ears". Generally, after this moment of fun replacing the "batteries" get's him focused again on listening and takes most stress out of the situation of him originally not listening. Also, whispering may help to get her attention back to you. But repeating is a great way of ensuring that she heard what you said and it at least got into her brain...may not stick, but she heard you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009