How do you stay calm with your kids so you dont lose your temper and yell and fuss at them

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• nip it in the bud before the situation escalates. be honest with them . Tell them you are very angry and that YOU need a time out to calm down and when you are calmer you will come back and deal with them. This method teaches them how to deal with their own anger and that it is okay to admit you are past the point of sanity and that it is okay to go someplace to collect yourself and then come back and deal with the problem. And if you do lose your temper and flip out on them ....after you calm down go to them tell them you over reacted and change the punishment if you can. Kids need to know that parents make mistakes to. and by admitting your mistake they also learn it is okay to admit they are wrong

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:22 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• you count to 10 and go hit your trash can with a broom,lol
    pray for self-control.
    Anonymous

• walk away & give yourself a timeout - lol:)
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 1:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Take a deep breath, walk away for a few minutes. Just close your eyes and ignore them for a minute until you get your wits back, or lock yourself in the bathroom!! I also like to have a glass of wine. Not thru the day, though.... only after dinner. That works the best for my sanity, but it's not for everyone!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 1:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• To be honest I dont always. Some days when I have had enough I will yell then I catch myself and make it right. But I cant ever say honestly that I dont yell. I am howevery trying daily to do better at that.
    scrappermom2

Answer by scrappermom2 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 30, 2009