Are they that bad?

I keep reading So many stories about terrible 2's/3's and it makes me scared for my son to turn 2... Is it really THAT hard? What can I do to make things smoother ? Tips for preventing major meltdowns???

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• every child is different..my son and neice are about 6 months apart...my son is older. my son had terrible 2's trying 3's and will probably have ferocious 4's...you just deal..just like any other part of dealing with their child hood....now my neice she didn't have terrible 2's she was the best 2 year old i've ever met! now she's almost 3 and she's hell on wheels....i would rather do a little each year than have it slammed at me full force like my sister in law is diong right now..
    AustinsMommy306

Answer by AustinsMommy306 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• They are as bad as you make them or let them be. Kids are just finding their independance at that age, so yes, things might get difficult. But if you don't allow them to become snotty bossy pains in the ass, they usually aren't.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 1:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• all kids are different. i wouldn't worry too much about it. just deal w/ it the best way you know how...my kids are both really good in public & awful at home w/ me (fine w/ their dad). so i guess i don't have to worry about public meltdowns - lol:) hang in there...it gets better.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 1:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Some things you just can't prevent. I have cared for a lot of kids in that age range and I can say this: If you see a melt down on the horizon, check to make sure your child is not hungry. Sometimes they get hungry and cranky but don't know how to express it yet. A fresh drink and a snack is likely to help in a lot of instances.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 2:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Max momma it just keeps getting harder...

My DD is 5 and she is so fresh...

Stick to your words....
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 2:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My sister had a nice reaction when a child screams and misbehaves publicly and other shoppers turn and stare. She placed a gentle hand on her child, faced the staring people and calmly said to them, We're working on this." The people are satisfied and turn away so she can then attend to her child.
    My son just turned two and he's fine so far. Don't be scared. You'll figure out what to do, just as you have for every other stage.
    I like the other suggestion of thinking about hunger, being tired or ill, or maybe just needing some quiet time. Check these things if you see a tantrum coming on the horizon.
    yalomsita

Answer by yalomsita at 2:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• start discipline early on.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with motherofhope, start early. Be consistent, but yeah all of my friends and I say the same thing they are difficult years. Those who's kids are 4+ say things get better. It seemed for several of us 2 was bad b/c of all the tantrums and 3 is bad b/c they know what they are doing and are trying so hard to be independent and assert themselves. I think from about 2 until well, now it's been hard with my son and he's 3 1/2, but is finally getting the hang of things. I have never heard a mother (until reading these posts) that have said they are easy. For me 2 was easier b/c I could handle tantrums, but I do't like him being defiant and talking back. It takes work and yes some are better than others, but all have their moments.
    ktnbags

Answer by ktnbags at 2:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• IT IS AS BAD AS YOU'VE HEARD!!! No, it depends on every child, even though many will have some form of meltdown at some point because they want to talk and do things for themselves and can't so they try to get you to understand what they want. My daughter has been having some serious "anger management" issues lately, but if she needs to get her hand slapped or something, just because she has an adorable face wont stop me from doing it. This is when they start to learn what they can and can't get away with and they are testing you.

I also try very hard to keep her on a schedule so she is not thrown for a loop and is not cranky or hungry if we go out. It actually helps a lot to be prepared if you are going to be in public. You will find what works best for you and your son and you will survive this too!
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 2:48 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• just tell them whos boss and maybe they will listin to you my 2 year old is going though now and i hate it
    lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 3:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009