Our tap water we think is giving us stomach ache....How can I have our tap water tested?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just look in the yellow pages for a local water testing company...they'll probably do it for about $75 or so...results come within a few days.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Good question. We just bought a house and i want our water tested. I think it's the pipes, and not the actual water from the well, but it smells funny sometimes. It's not making us sick, just smells weird. That, and we have really hard water. I think i'm going to call the local health department and see if they have any suggestions on how and where to get it tested!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• well water or city water?
    Anonymous

• well water or city water?

city water. We live in a 6 story building. OP
    Anonymous

• grams thanks OP
    Anonymous

• My sister had to have her water tested and they did it through Health and Human Services. They got a little cup (like you pee in at the docs) and put a sample of their water in it and took it back to the office. We are in Nebraska by the way!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• mommy2 thanks we are in NJ OP
    Anonymous

• call your water company or the city they will know where to direct you. or maybe google tap water testing strips. but in the mean time stop drinking it get bottled water we always hear these awful stories about bad tap water leading to disease.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 2:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• your local home depot should have do it yourself kits. They are fun I've used them before. They go about ten dollars. They don't test for all problems but it might give you some answers without having to spend the money on a full blown test.
    geminishadow79

Answer by geminishadow79 at 3:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Our county will give out test kits for about $20. They only test for bacteria and the like. I had our well water fully tested by an outside firm, and it cost about $195.

If you are on city water, they probably test it frequently. In the last city I lived in, I discovered they tested the water every few hours at each pump station.

It could be a problem in your pipes, as well.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009