Is this a small sign that things are turning around?

Our house was just appraised at $10,000 more than we bought it for just this last October... we were expecting the value to have gone down, but its gone up...that has to be a good sign, no?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Sure it is I said give Obama 6 months before I judge him and so far I am happy my income has went up at least 33%

Anonymous

• So happy for you. Our income is down 50%, and doesn't look like it will rebound anytime soon.
    Anonymous

• Thank you I hope things turn around for you fast but although I am blessed we are up 33% before that we were down around 50% so I understand your pain it was a hard thing to deal with your family will be in my prayers Good Luck

Anonymous

• No, Where do you live? There are places who did not suffer from the housing downturn like others. I'm in TX and my house never went down in value. Your house is worth whatever someone will pay for it. What did you have it appraised for. Different entities appraise differently. The only one that matters is the Home Appraiser appraising for sale. Refinance or tax appraisers don't go into the depth as a home appraiser.
    Not only that, there are so many aspects of this recession when one area does better that leaves many that are still bad. I read this morning that consumer confidence is down again.
    I hope your 33% raise in income wasn't from Obamas rate cut because if it is you are goin gto be hit bad at tax time. Everyone should be getting th e same amount $60 or so dollars a month. If you get more you will owe it back at tax time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Our income went up and we are buying a new home. Not typical in our area. My husband is a very hard worker and was smart enough to constantly be adding new job skills to his resume. He is the only person who does his very vital job at his company. We saved for our home the past few years. When we watched others take out stupid interest only loans and put nothing down we saved. When we watched people buy high we saved. We put half down on our home and will enjoy our 4k sqft brand new beautiful home because we were smart. We know many who are doing well like us they always lived within their means and used common sense and waited to buy a home like we did.

About 10k people lost jobs last week in our town. Three auto dealers went under as well. Stores are closing and we are in an area with relatively low unemployment only 4.9 percent until last week now we are in the 5.2 percent range. I am sure that will go up.

Anonymous

• Oh then it had nothing to do with Obama.....
    Congratulations on being smart when the time was right.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree it had nothing to do with Obama. It really depends on where you live, your job skills (or lack thereof), stability of your work, and whether or not people are smart enough to buy a house within (or below) their means. I don't understand why society tries to make us think we need all of these material things. Our kids want stability. They don't care about living in a mansion!
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 2:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• CONGRATULATIONS !! And all best wishes to you ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There was a report of a slight uptick in housing prices today. It's the first increase in about three years. Now the question is whether the trend will continue.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:06 AM on Jul. 29, 2009