Have you ever gone from pets to no pets?

I have had pets most of my life, with the exception of about 3 years when I was an adult. Right now, I have a golden retriever, a standard poodle, & a tabby cat. They are part of the family & I would never part with them. Still, I find myself fondly remembering the days when I could grab the kids & spend all day at the beach & not worry about the fur kids. Plus, I feel like I am constantly cleaning & can hardly keep the pet hair off our clothes & floors. Due to the ages of our pets, I know that within the next 3 - 10 years, they will be gone. I am seriously thinking about not getting another pet. Has anyone else done this? Gone from pets to no pets? How did it work? Did you like it? Would you get another pet or have you gotten one already? What did your DH & kids think about it?

funnyface1204

Asked by funnyface1204 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pets

• OK, so after my pets have lived their wonderful lives, I will only ever get ONE pet at a time from now on. We have 2 dogs and a cat and seriously, I am struggling to find one on one time with each of the dogs. So after this, there will only ever be one pet in my home at a time.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Pets are just a part of our lives, and we will always be acquiring them i'm sure! Yeah, they are kind of a hassle when we want to go out of town, but we're lucky enough to have some great friends nearby that will tend to them while we're away. A lot of times though, the animals are PART of what we are going to do, so they are with us anyways!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 2:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• We had no pets for about a month, and it was nice to not have to deal with them and clean up after them. But when the one cat found her way home (we no longer let them roam) we realized how nice it is to have them.

Answer by Bmat at 2:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, and honestly, it was a relief. No more mess, no more work, no more needing to get home on time to care for them, no more vet visits (and the worry that comes with that), no more toy clutter. It's been 7 years and we still have no pets inside the house, except for one betta fish in a bowl. Outside we have a desert tortoise, who just gets a plate of tortoise chow and some water each day, and needs no other daily care. I doubt I'll ever have another indoor pet again.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:22 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh, I include the animals a lot--sometimes they go to the beach with us. I have even taken the cat on a couple vacations. It just takes extra planning & they come home filthy & it is just more to deal with.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i went from a large dog (over 100 lbs) and a large cat (over 20 lbs) to just lizards and spiders. i prefer it. SO MUCH EASIER TO CLEAN NOW! i do miss them, and still see them and love them, but i spent at least 10 hours a week dehairing me, the kids, the furniture, the car, etc.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 5:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• For years we have had 2 cats. The oldest passed 2 years ago at the age of 14 and now my surviving cat is 14. So we are also facing this. I think that we will go pet free for a while and see how it goes. The cats we have/had, we got years before we had kids, but now with little kids in the house I just don't have the patience for kids and pets. I love my cats, but I won't be rushing out to replace them when my little Sunshine passes.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I just had my husband's cat euthanized because he wanted the cat to be euthanized but didn't want to be there. The cat had diabetes and was often sickly and urinating on everything. The house is "lighter" now that the cat is gone. We miss him, but know we made the right decision. But I couldn't IMAGINE life without MY cat. I have had her for 7 years. I could never part with her.
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 8:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Its hard to go from pets to no pets. We always had animals and when I moved t ocollege my cat died. When I moved out onto my own I lived in a place that wouldn't let me have animals. I think pets just offer a certian kind of company that you can't get from other people. Maybe you could just go down to one pet and make your life a little easier.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 29, 2009