Feeding my son with Diarrhea, suggestions?

I need some feeding suggestions for my son, Chris (21 months old). He has had diarrhea for the last 2 days. I’ve been feeding him the BRAT diet. I called my pediatrician and was told not to give him any dairy, which cuts out half of his diet, or meats and to feed him “dry” foods. The nurse didn't give any suggestions of "dry" foods I need ideas for “dry” foods. My son has started to refuse to eat toast/bread, he only nibbles on bananas (a favorite food) and applesauce, and he only eats a few pieces of dry cereal or a spoonful of oatmeal with honey. Oh and he doesn't likesoup or plain pasta. I’m at a loss of what to feed him. Any suggestions?

chrissmom734

Asked by chrissmom734 at 2:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 2mothershelpers was that completely necessary? Not only did you not answer the question, you had to do a string of one-liners? (I did get a good laugh from your answers, though)

Just let him have all the starches and carbs he will eat. If he doesn't have an upset stomach, let him have diary...unless he has a problem with it usually, it's actually constipating especially cheese.

Potatoes, pastas, rices, bananas, applesauce, crackers, breads. He can have meat, just make sure it's lean and not fatty or greasy. Give up on vegetables and fruits right now for sure. No sugary drinks, no pedialyte, gatorade, koolaid or juice...stick to water and milk (if no upset stomach)

Do NOT give him pepto! No over the counter meds unless directed by A PEDIATRICIAN. (I guarantee the spammer above is NOT a pediatrician)

Starches and carbs...worry about healthy diet later.
    Anonymous

• if you are SURE he does not have chicken pox I would give him a little pepto-bismal
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• CHECK WITH A PHARMICIST TO GET THE RIGHT DOSE
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Any foods with high iron will clear it right up. Get the kicks cereal There are also some snacks with alot of iron in them. Get the flinstone vitamins with iron and that will help also. good luck hope this works for ya
    Anonymous

• DEHYDRATION CAN CAUSE SEIZURES!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• KEEP HIS POTASSIUM LEVELS UP WORRY ONLY ABOUT GIVING HIM PEDIALYTE SQUIRT IT IN HIS MOUTH WITH A MED DROPPER
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• cheese may help too
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• make sure it is childrens pepto bismal and do give his age and weight. to the pharmacist to get right dose, if the diahrea is still no improving after a good 2 days ,aand no chicken pox! causes rye if you mix chicken pox with pepto due to aspirin in it that is why the Peds do not tell us to use it.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Rye syndrom is dangerous do this at your own risk but you are the mom!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• make sure has has not had the chicken pox vaccine recently either b4 you try the childrens pepto-bismal
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 4:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009