How do I keep my sanity while raising an out of control, unruly teenager

We have tried counseling, bi-polar meds. She has now been entere is d into the local court system for juveniles. Her cursing and breaking curfew, hanging with others who smoke dope etc. She is 15 and I am a single mother because her father cannot be bothered with her antics.

ineedhelpnow

Asked by ineedhelpnow at 2:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear you and your daughter are going through this. If you could afford it, I would put her in a year around boarding school. Hell my son is well behaved and just struggles with extreme laziness. Got all d's on report card. Barely passed the 8th grade and I warned him already if nothing changes by next year his butt is going!

Mother_2_Three

Answer by Mother_2_Three at 2:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My daughter is very similar, although her father and I are together. She is good at home I must admit, but choses to hang around with teens I'd rather she didn't. But that is her choice. I now say to her, "You know I don't agree with you, but I would rather know who you were with than lie to me, you are old enough to make your own choices but you must live with the consequences be they good or bad". Choices is the key and making her accountable for the ones she makes are important. She was in trouble with the law once, I told her that she would have to pay the fine herself. She had no money for over a month. i also limit the money she is given, it stops her buying alcohol or anything else. You have to make her aware that choices have consequences... Keep an open communication with her even if you don't want to hear what she is saying its better in the long run. They are a little beyond the naughty step!!!!
    Dooberrydoo

Answer by Dooberrydoo at 5:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Being Bipolar is way different than hanging around the wrong type of kids or general teenag antics. Your daughter needs to be in intensive counseling, including anger management. It would also help to be in family counseling. It is very hard to control Bipolar and it is a guessing game as to what meds will work. It takes time and patience. She still needs to be held accountable for her actions and punished accordingly. Get her in counseling NOW and see what the counselor has to say.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• $40 grand for a 10-12 month program is the price of the boarding school I have looked into !! Mine is 15, AB honor roll & A string football. He decided to go shoplift & rob Wal-Mart for his big take of condoms & DVD's, $65 dollars worth. He OD on alcohol & the ambulance had to come pick him up in Feb. IDK for the LIFE in me where ANY of this insane BS is coming from. I can't afford $40 grand, SO he is going to work a garden, get his driver license a year later than he thinks. The NEXT time he does something so unacceptable, I'm feeding him chicken broth & bread only for 14 days in a row & he will see what prison feels like !! That the best I got right now lady !!

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:12 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• I already stripped his room down to curtains & sheets. Took i-pod. cell phone, etc...IDK, but it is his assine I'm the best & have more attitude that is the problem. Self-entitlement issues & attitude that is the ROOT problem & *I* can FIX THAT !! I might not have the ability to FIX him, that is up to him, but I can cut OFF all his neat-o STUFF !!

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 2:17 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• My son is bi-polar and it is hard some times to keep my sanity but it is possible. We have gone down a very long road and it is an on going thing. We have learned that when he starts to get out of control, I make him stop what he is doing( sometimes not an easy task) and think about what the consequences will be. It is not easy but after a while he actually thanks me for making him think about it before reacting. This is a lesson his councilor has taught us. I hope this helps you and I wish you the best of luck. Bi-polar can be managed and kids with bi-polar can lead a somewhat normal life.
    burbanmom

Answer by burbanmom at 5:09 PM on Aug. 1, 2009