Curious question about the Virgin Mother-No bashing-or really even personal opinions

Why are most pictures/statues of Mary with her wearing blue? Except for Our Lady of Guadalupe I usually see her in blue. Was blue the color of Israel?

If you don't have a valid reason just move on, I don't want to hear how Catholics like to worship blue or can't think for themselves. I am really curious on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• what is your point lawla? DRAMA maybe? That wasn't the question.
    drink-lover

Answer by drink-lover at 12:36 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• no one knows maybe that is how we picture her in our minds.
    Anonymous

• Did you know that the Hebrew word that they translated to "virgin" in Hebrew only means "un-wed"? I just thought I'd through that bit of trivia in there.
    I'm not sure about the color, sorry I can't be of help.
    Anonymous

• I got this from Wiki answers, lol.

"The older, classic and more representative color is dark blue," according to the Rev. Johann Roten, S.M, director of the Marian Library-International Marian Research Institute at the University of Dayton. "Mary's dark blue mantle, from about 500 A.D., is of Byzantine origin and is the color of an empress." Mary has traditionally been called "Queen of Heaven," as the Mother of God who was assumed into heaven upon her death.

On a more practical note, the color blue used in medieval painting was derived from lapis lazuli, a stone imported from Afghanistan of greater value than gold. Beyond a painter's retainer, patrons were expected to purchase any gold or lapis lazuri to be used in the painting. Hence, it was an expression of devotion and glorification to swath the Virgin in wide flowing gowns of blue (as well as a not-too-subtle expression of the patron's wealth).

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• did you know I didn't ask that perhaps you should start your own question because all you are going to do here is start a debate over if she is a virgin or not leaving the real question unanswered. Just for a bit of trivia, there is more than just the word "virgin" that lets us know of the immaculate conception.
    Anonymous

• I don't know...but maybe it was one way to distinguish who She was when depicted as a statue before most people knew how to read? I know statues and stained glass windows and all were important during that time to share stories from the Bible with people who couldn't read. Just an idea.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was going to say something along the lines of what Cin said. The blue tradition was most likely started based on a royal color. Psychologically, the color blue is said to "exude truthfulness."

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• truthfulness, the virgin mary had other other children with joseph.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 11:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009