New Mom, is my baby eating ok?

My baby is now 7 weeks old and is eating 4 oz every 2 hours.. Lately he has been wanting to eat every 1 1/2 hours. He is on formula as I am having sugury for a tumor on my breast and can no longer breast feed :( He does seem to want to eat a bit more when he is finished. If I move him to 5 oz should that help him last longer in between feedings? What about spitting up? He does seem to spit up just a little at the end of every feeding, does that mean he is already getting too much?

JacksMom610

Asked by JacksMom610 at 2:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try giving him a pacifier after a feeding when he seems hungry. He might just want to suck. Otherwise, he'll let you know when he's not hungry.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Try to burp him 1/2 way through feeding him. that may help with the spit up after he eats. As far as eating too much maybe hes not really hungry everytime u feed him. maybe hes crying because he just wants held or burped or hes tired etc....
    Good luck and congrats!
    CoreyLynn

Answer by CoreyLynn at 2:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• HUN, YOUR BABY SEEMS TO BE EATING OK, BUT IF YOU HAVE DOUBTS YOU CAN ALWAYS ASK HIS DOCTOR. THE SPITTING UP DOESN'T NECESSARILY MEAN HE IS FULL, JUST GASY. ALSO I THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULD FEED HIM EVERY 2 AND HALF HOURS OR THREE, YOU ARE NOT GIVING HIM TIME TO DIGEST BETWEEN FEEDINGS, IF HE CRIES, HOLD HIM, CUDDLE, ROCK HIM, PLAY WITH HIM UNTIL HIS NEXT FEEDING.

Answer by older at 2:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Like Corey said, try burping him halfway through feedings. Also you can try the Dr Brown bottles, they are supposed to reduce gas and I think they really helped with my son.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• A little spit up is OK! My son had to eat frequently because of reflux, but the amount your giving your baby seems ok. He may be tired - lots of newborns get tired 2 hours at most, after waking. The previous posters give great advice as well - try the pacifier and/or burping during the feeding if he takes a break.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• well u could give him more but if u do n he spits it up then yes he has too much. u shud try to do wat is best for ur son.
    Anonymous

• My dd is 8 wks old and is doing the same thing. She is eating 4 oz every 2 hours. If I give her more, (5oz) it will hold her off 3 hours, but spits up alot after that, then she will maybe only take 3 oz at her next feeding. I talked to the dr. about it, and she said that every 2 hours is alot, try to at least hold them off til 3 hours. Easier said than done, when nothing else works. They are screaming to be fed, they will let you know if they have had enough. Does your baby wake every 2 hours at night? Mine has just now started holding off at night 6-7 hours. But I have heard that some babies will eat like that and sleep a lot better at night. I have been trying today to hold her off and seems to be wanting to eat every 2 hours and 40 mins. I guess thats better. Good luck to you.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009