Will you fire your nanny?

Part of my nanny's job is to drive my children to the park, museum or events during the day so my children can get out and get air. A month ago she got a DUI where I actually had to pick her up from the police station at 3AM. She didn't stop drinking but only try NOT to drive or get caught. If it were your children, will you fire your nanny?

bayareamom930

Asked by bayareamom930 at 2:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well her license will probably be suspended, so she won't be able to drive anymore.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 2:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Um, hell yes! What if she decided to have a drink while she was watching the kids? A drunk person cannot be trusted when it comes to caring for children. If it was me, I would'nt have picked her up from the police station and I would've fired her. She's got huge balls to call her boss to pick her up after being arrested, WOW.
    CavMamma

Answer by CavMamma at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Um...yeah. Even though she may not drink while she's with the kids (Although, you never know)she could still be drunk from the night before and not realize it and drive your kids around. She'd be gone!
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 2:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Absolutely yes - I'd fire her on the spot. I would not trust her around my kids, and especially not to drive them anywhere.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 2:58 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Ok, if she got a dui while she was out drinking with her girlfriends or whatever that does not mean she's gonna drink around your kids. It does show bad judgement that she chose to drink then drive but it does not endanger your kids. If she got her licesnce suspended then it does mean she can no longer uphold her responisbiilties to take your kids out and yes I would fire her then but not because she's some drunk that is going to be drinking around your kids.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 3:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would've fired her immediately! How could you possibly ever trust her again with your children? It's difficult enough to deal with the guilt of entrusting your children to someone else's care but if you have any reason, any reason AT ALL, to doubt that person's reliability, it's going to be even worse. How are you going to feel if you give her "one more chance" and she ends up getting into an accident WITH the children in the car?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 3:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes why would you take the risk of her driving your kids around when she is drunk.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• As any other employee, maybe not. But someone who cares for my children? Absolutely. Not only can she no longer provide the services you hired her for (you hired someone who could get your kids out of the house, not just a babysitter), she has shown poor judgement. And I'm not saying she'd drink on the job, but she obviously showed poor judgement WHILE she was drunk by getting behind the wheel, so who's to say she wouldn't show up to work after a night of drinking, still drunk? She may be a good person who makes otherwise good choices, but she makes bad ones when she's drunk, and that's not a risk I'd be willing to take with my children.
    Bensmommy611

Answer by Bensmommy611 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would have never picked her up at the police station to start with. If she has a drug or alcohol problem she needs to seek help. She is incapable to take care of herself little long MY Children!
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 3:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009