Do you think Dr.s are out only for Money

Obama told the story of how Dr.s would rather take out tonsils than treat symptoms because they can make more money. This has angered alot of ENTs for sure. I think that in itself says that he thinks most Dr.s are out for money not for helping the patient. I think just the opposite. There are a few bad eggs in every group but I'd bet most of them are in California. LOL Dr.s take an oath to Do NO Harm and most take it very seriously. I guess Obama doens't think much about promises
Do you side with Obamas thoughts or mine?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yours and no Obama does not think much of promises because he has not kept his own..apparently it was of non importance once he bought his way into the WH.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think Docs who accept Medical cards do why because my own mother goes to the Doc every week and says ooh these pills don't work what does he do say okay try this over and over again she has too many pill bottles to count and its not just him its the back Doc and her other Doc its crazy I cant stand it were is the cut off

Anonymous

• If Doctors were only concerned about money they would've been lawyers - better hours, less school, potentially more money.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• That's just ridiculous. My child sees a pediatrician. To have tonsils removed, we would have to see a specialist. The pediatrician doesn't make money off the specialist. She has nothing to gain. She always gives me alternatives to the surgery. For example, we tried EVERY technique and drug imaginable for a year and a half before we finally decided to give my child a surgery for ear infections (tubes in her ears).
    MontessoriMo226

Answer by MontessoriMo226 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Some are - most are not. I, personally, have a doctor who drives a 1996 Buick, lives 6 blocks from me, does not charge office visit charges, does not hand out prescriptions when a patient needs to try a new one, but instead gives the patient enough samples to span the trial time. I would say that he is certainly not out for money. He spends ( in many many many cases) a hour or more with each patient to be certain that he has covered all issues the patient may need to address. Adversely, we have a doctor here ( a clinic doctor) who ushers patients through like cattle - everyone gets pretty much the same shots (or at least their insurance gets charged for it, even if they didn't get the shots, patients are told that it is "Office Policy" to obtain blood work if you haven't had any in the last 30 days - and guess who's lab he sends you to? - Yep, his.)
    So there's both good and bad. But I think the majority are good.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree with you. Not all doctors are in it for the money. While I think they should make a good living, I don't think most of them are out to take advantage of their patients. Doctors go to school for a very long time, and most of them finish very deeply in debt. I think most wouldn't stick with it if they didn't want to help people.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Anon, We have to be advocates for our parents when they get older. Have you beento the Dr. with your mother? YOu should and you should take every pill bottle she takes with you. It's easy for the elderly to get confused and take meds that should be replaced with the new pill. Many do not need all the drugs they are taking. IF you feel her Dr is not treating her in the right way you need to make her an appointment with a new Dr.so they can look at her history and adjust her meds accordingly. She may be able to get off of several meds.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes I have tried over and over again but she is 57 and not confused at all she is a pill popper we have flushed her pills down the toilet called her Doc and said to him why are you letting her get away with this and he will not talk to me about it he is very rude and says that is her business I have cried to her she is going to die from this but she will not quit after 15 years of fighting her I don't know what else to do

Anonymous

• I've worked for doctors for years. The last doctor I worked for only earned $90,000 a year, paid over $100,000 a year in malpractice, had lousy hours, and was still paying off medical school loans in his late forties. He was hardly rolling in the dough. The cardiologists I worked for made a lot more, but the usually worked 12 hours a day, minimum.

With current doctors generally graduating with over $150,000 in debt, it's hardly a lucrative profession. It takes years to establish a practice, or you can take a salaried position that pays okay at best, considering they have spent 8+ years in school.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• "If Doctors were only concerned about money they would've been lawyers - better hours, less school, potentially more money."

apparently you don't know much about lawyers. but then, its so much easier to just spout stereotypes than to actually know what you're talking about.
    LeahJ

Answer by LeahJ at 3:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009