why do people pray to Mary and other saints? what verse in the bible does it say to do this? any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• that is not right we only pray to Jesus.
    Mary was a great woman the most blessed to birth Jesus but not sinless like Jesus. He alone is the Awesome all knowing full of power God, worthy of our hearts and devotion and prayer and power to hear us at all times- read the 10 commandments
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You should probably read up on Martin Luther and John Calvin and( Grace).
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• oh lex
    Anonymous

• the great reformation with Martin Luther hense the Lutherans
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 3:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't know why some people pray to certains figures or gods I only pray to Our God in Heaven and our lord Jesus Christ...
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 3:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Anonymous

• As far as I know people DON'T pray to Mary or any other Saints but only to God.
    Anonymous

• The thought behind it is having a "special person" in heaven that's on your side looking out for you. The prayers are to the saints/Mary so that they will pray for you in heaven. There are verses about praying for one another and Catholics do not restrict this to just the living but extend it to the Saints in heaven that they can also pray for us. There is a verse in Macabees where Jews are seen praying to the dead (Catholics cannonize Macabees, Protestents do not). I can't remember the references off the top of my head.

I think that such a formalized concept of Saint/Mary prayer coming from scattered references that I've heard in reference to this before is a stretch but it's not my belief and really none of my business lol. It's not something I personally do (I'm Protestant) but if someone who is Catholic feels lead that it is right, that's up to them :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I personally believe the Bible teaches against praying to Mary and the other saints. "For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and people. He is the man Christ Jesus." 1 Timothy 2:5
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's not so much PRAYING as it is asking for intervention on the person's behalf. They don't worship Mary or the saints at all, BTW, that's a common misconception. And they also don't practice idolatry either. They use the rosary and the crucifix as a focal point for their prayers.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009