Teachers and Political Views

My dd (7) came home from school and told us that Obama may be fired from being president because he doesnt want people to be able to pray and he doesn't like religion. She told me a few other things about him just in conversation. I am not really a fan of Obama, but I believe in respecting authoritites so I tend to not say much to her abut it since he won. I am shocked that a teacher could talk about it (and was really expressing opinion it seems) to a class of 1st graders. It is a private faith based school, but Im still a little surprised she would tell her class this stuff. Do you think it is appropriate for the teacher to discuss the president like this to young kids?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No I dont and I would have a meeting with her ASAP she can have her opinion but she does not need to express it in school

Anonymous

• That is not appropriate at all. Talk to the principal.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Last year my sons teacher on election day had the kids raise their hands if mom and dad were Democrats. She had them collect their things and made all the kids who did not raise their hands move to the back of the class. My son was forced to the very back row and he has very poor vision and even with his glasses he cannot see the white board at the front of the room. She told the kids to get used to being at the back of the line and get used to being told what to do by Democrats. Many of us complained but teachers in Cali can say pretty much what they want about politics and other personal views in the classroom. They have free speech in class. All the kids after that lied and would say mom and dad were Democrats with the exception of my son. He told his teacher his mommy was a libertarian and was about freedom and liberty and she was a Democrat who was about tyranny and bossing people around.

Cont.

Anonymous

• Cont.

He was sent to the Principals office the principal called me and said my son needed to apologize to his teacher. I said when the teacher apologizes for her beliefs my son will apologize for our families beliefs. The Principal sent him back to class and his teacher was rude to him. Another mom witnessed her calling my son stupid (my son is gifted actually) after class and we were able to get her into trouble. They also finally moved my son to a different class. Many moms moved their kids. I heard the teacher was being moved to another school. We now have my son in a private non religious school that is far superior in academics and does not worry about politics and when it does allows all views. Teachers should shut up about many things in class or allow all views without being oppressive.
    Anonymous

• It is a private faith based school.

What do you expect them to do?

Should they act as though the leader of the country is a practicing Christian?

The unpleasantness of something doesn't make it go away!

They sell faith-based curriculum at this school and you pay with your tuition.

A by product of your purchase is : THE TRUTH!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 3:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I really don't believe that is appropriate.
    They should not even be thinking about power struggles in the grown-up world at such a young age. Since children are very imitative until they're 9 or 10, they NEED to see the grownups - especially figures which their community looks up to like firemen & police, their doctor & teacher, and figures their parents expose them to on TV - they NEED to see these grownups as GOOD people, since they are modelling themselves and their morals on what they are shown.

My husband is a teacher in 7th grade in Sonoma County California, and he wouldn't DREAM of being so petty.

You DEFINITELY should scold the teacher in a meeting together with the principal. And I say that as a teacher's wife.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you, Grace. I agree entirely.

I will say that I am a teacher in public school. I did not share my political views with my students, though they knew who I voted for based on a mock election we held in the class. Nor do I share my religious views with my students. It's not up to me, a public school teacher, to share these issues.

However- had I been in a private, faith-based school, it probably (most definitely) would be different.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Conservative parents deal with this type of thing on a continuous basis... as teachers tend to be rather liberal. We reeducate our children accordingly... sadly, teachers forget that young minds are eager to learn fact- not the teacher's personal opinion.

Of course the teacher should not be discussing this type of information with a 7 year old- it holds no bearing on their actual education. This would be something the teacher would have to intentionally broach for discussion.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Private faith based school not surprising. At public schools kids are indoctrinated with a liberal agenda daily. If you don't like it put her in a public school. At least you have that option. Many who do not feel they can homeschool yet don't have the money to send to private school have no options.
    Anonymous

• it holds no bearing on their actual education.

Yes it does, I just told you that above^^^.

It is a faith based school.

What about that are you unable to understand?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009