I keep hearing this....

I keep hearing Dems say 14,000 people a day are losing their healthcare. Well first I don't believe it. That would be 218 million400thousand people a year and would mean everyone would have lost ins in 15 or so years. Second, where is the proof? I can't find it anywhere. Anyone see this anywhere?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Many are losing their healthcare. I don't know about that number, I say a news special about insurance companies going back and denying payments and dropping people with upcoming major procedures.
    Anonymous

• My best guess is that they are looking at statistics of people losing their healthcare because they are between jobs, or changing to a new plan. ... wouldn't it be more honest to ALSO cite how many people are newly enrolling INTO healthcare coverage?

I myself was laid off, so I was 1 person losing my healthcare. Then I enrolled in the COBRA coverage, so I was covered again. Then I got a new job, and after 60 days, I was eligible for my new job's heath coverage.

So, I went OFF my COBRA coverage, ... and I bet I was listed as yet ANOTHER person who "lost" my health care coverage. And yet, I never stopped having access to EXACTLY the same doctor and pharmacy.

Tweak and torture the statistics enough, and they will confess to whatever you want.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• People aren't losing their health CARE, some people are losing their health INSURANCE. This is a governmental bait-and-switch they are playing on us.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Um... 14000*365 = 5,110,000 people/ year. And that sounds about right. 25-40 mil people don't have health insurance throughout the course of a year in the US. That doesn't mean that those people are losing it permanently. 14000 is probably just the rate right now with the economy and all. A percentage of those people will get insurance in the future with a new job, coverage by a family member, etc.
    Anonymous

Absolutely not. Not at all. People who don't have health insurance don't have access to health care. There is no bait and switch. Pretty cut and dry.

I have no health insurance, so, that means that this cyst thats growing and causing me pain is going to keep on growing bc we have no money for services.

Many places won't see you without health insurance.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Many offices will based on income or making payment arrangements.I know because I have been there done that.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• And many offices say sorry we can't help you. Been there done that. Especially when it comes to major procedures. They don't want to get screwed.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• A few yrs ago on the news I forget the exact numbers but it was reported by all the news agencies that a certain number of homeless people died every SECOND in the US. when someone decided to figure it out the claim would have ended up being more deaths every year of homeless people than the total world population.

But then when you calculate how many people are losing their jobs every week then it may be about right. But like pagen_mama said they are losing INSURANCE not healthcare.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• DIMocrats are idiots!~
    Anonymous

• "People aren't losing their health CARE, some people are losing their health INSURANCE. This is a governmental bait-and-switch they are playing on us."

I agree. I pay out of pocket for many services that I don't have coverage for. The nation's Medicaid roles are growing thanks to Obama's expansion of Medicaid nationwide. An aging population is leaving conventional insurance and going on Medicaid.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009