Anyone have a fav food that's high in iron?

I've just been diagnosed with a severe case of iron deficiency and anemia. I've been searching for something that tastes good and that's high in iron so that I can get back to normal. Right now it's so bad I'm not even allowed to work because my levels are so low. Any suggestions would be great.

adove01

Asked by adove01 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• A big, fat, juicy steak. Yummmm...My mouth is watering already!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• progresso's lentil soup and organic rainbow swiss chard
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i'm on an iron supplement as well
    staciandababy

• spinach,kale,chard, beets, raisins, honey(raw)has iron in it one tbsp will give you a nice shot of iron, any dark leafy green, believe it or not boiling a handful of rusty nails in water and drinking the water will give you some iron(tastes pretty bad Im sure, haven't tried this one myself). liver ,red meat,all good for iron.
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 3:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• spinach!

liver's good too but ICK!

I also take an iron supplement - my dr suggested to take my iron with a glass of OJ - the vitamin C helps the body to absord the iron in the supplement.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'm on supplements and steriods as well. I really don't want to continue all of this. I was crazy enough to try liver and onions and that didn't work out so well-really gross. lol. hubby will def like the steak idea, we did that a few days ago. will try some of the other suggestions too.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Hypermamaz has it right--combine iron-rich foods (broccoli, spinach, swiss chard, kale, dried apricots, lentils) with foods high in vitamin C for best iron absorption.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 4:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Spinach, kale, tofu, beef liver, lean red meats, seafood like tuna, salmon, clams, oysters & shrimp, cooked dry beans and lentils, iron fortified cereals, broccoli, asparagus, swiss chard, turnip greens, poultry, eggs, dried prunes or apricots and blackstrap molasses are all good food sources of iron.

Vitamin C helps your body to absorb iron, so try to pair iron rich foods with vitamin C rich foods like citrus fruits, citrus fruits, like oranges, cantaloupe, strawberries, tomatoes, broccoli, cabbage, kiwi fruit, bell peppers.

It is harder for the body to absorb the iron that is found in fruits, vegetables, and grains, than the iron that is found in animal foods, including red meats, poultry, and fish.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I love steak. :)
    Really though I have the same health issue. Do some research. Some foods work against eachother for absorption and others work together. For example vitamin C makes you absorb it better but you can't take it with the iron rich foods or it makes you not absorb it.
    Rebeccalynn_dj

Answer by Rebeccalynn_dj at 5:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Copy and paste this list to see a listing of iron-rich foods:

http://www.soystache.com/iron

Eating a vitamin C source with your iron source will increase absorbtion of the iron. Feel free to contact me for recipe ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009