How does anyone get 8 year old to do homework or class work?

My grandaughter lives with us since nov 2007. She knows most of the work she has to do. She just flat out refuses at different times to do ANY!! I have calmed down try & quit yelling and thats worked for today.I have meetings set up with teacher, principle and counselour.

g-ma2000

Asked by g-ma2000 at 11:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• SOMETIMES TOUGH LOVE DOES WORK, SHE MAY NOT LIKE YOU NOW FOR IT, BUT SHE'LL RESPECT YOU LATER IN LIFE. REMEMBER, SHE'S STILL A CHILD AND DOES NOT KNOW WHAT IS BEST, SHE JUST WANTS HER WAY. BE FIRM AND CONSISTANT, TAKE AWAY THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO HER LIKE TV, VIDEO GAMES, TOYS , ETC..... AND DON'T GIVE IN UNTILL YOU SEE THE REPORT CARD. ONE YEAR MY SON GOT SUSPENDED FROM SCHOOL AND HE WAS ONLY IN THE 3rd GRADE. I WAS VERY MAD , IT HAPPENED TO BE RIGHT BEFORE HOLLOWEEN, SO I GROUNDED HIM FOR A WEEK, AND THAT MENT THAT HE COULDN'T GO TRICKORTREETING THAT YEAR. EVERYONE SAID THAT WAS TOO MEAN, BUT NOW HE'S IN THE 10th GRADE AND HAS NEVER BEEN SUSPENDED SINCE THAT FIRST TIME. GOOD LUCK
    Mrs_Bonsta

Answer by Mrs_Bonsta at 12:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2008

• A routing and consistency is always best. Make a scheduled time for her to do homework at the same time everyday. Weather it be first thing as soon as she walks through the door, or a little before bed. Try not to make it too close to bed time because there little brains get tired and can't focus as well. I was starting to have some problems with homework turn-in's, so now I have my kids do it as soon as they walk in from school. They always want to play with there friends or do something else and the rule is "Not until your homework is complete". It motivates them to get it all done quickly. It has become such a routine that now I rarely have to ask them to do it. It takes some time and it is hard to keep with a rutine so stay on top of it and good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I tell my kids that school is their job and they have to do the work before they can have any fun. If the goof off in class or don't do their homework, they aren't allowed to do anything.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2008

• Our son is 8 and when he gets home from school he knows he gets a snack, has some downtime by watching his favorite cartoon and at 4:30 p.m. it's homework time. While he's snacking and relaxing I'll go through his backpack and set out his homework in the dining room where it is quiet.

We also created a reward system for him. For every day he does his homework with a good attitude (i.e. no fits, no tantrums, etc.) he gets a sticker. When he receives 5 stickers he gets an ice cream sundae at home. When he gets 20 stickers he gets a Ben 10 action figure. When he gets 60 stickers he gets a slightly bigger reward.

Having a routine and sticking with it is the most important thing. She's old enough for you to sit her down and explain your rules and what you decide to do to help her with her homework.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 11:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2008

• positive reward systems work great when punishments do not! that way it makes it fun for her and easy on you!
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 12:02 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• Have you tested the child for a learning disability? I just ask because it sounds like me. I had the worst time with homework. I later found out I had a learning diability. It was not that I did not want to do because I was a difficult. I did not want to because it was hard for me. Now, as a mother of a 8 year old, I cannot help with her math assistments, it is too hard for me. I am anonymous here because it is embrassing for me to admit this. Mine is not learning disabled and does it all just fine. She knows if she gets it done, she gets to do something fun. No play time until it is done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Aug. 22, 2008

• I agree with the routine.....Kids do best when they KNOW what has to happen. I am a foster parent though and my question would be why she is living with you....if it's becasue the parents have passed, or she in no longer allowed to live with them for whatever reason, I would say she is just angry and chooses to take it out on you........kids alot of times don't understand why things happen the way they do, they just know what they want. Alot of my foster kids refuse to do chores and homework because they think I'm not their parent and I can't make them do it. Things that worked for me were making them sit at the table and not be allowed to do ANYTHING until the homework was completed. You should also make sure she acutally knows how to do the work....she actually may not understand it and is to emabrrassed to tell anyone...i went through that with my daughter....patience is the key...STAND YOUR GROUND!
    o4scarlett

Answer by o4scarlett at 3:11 PM on Aug. 22, 2008