My DD doesn't want me to teach her anything......

She is 3.5 and I try to sit down with her and teach her to recognize her numbers & letters! I have even been trying to teach her to spell things like cat, dog, car etc. but she would rather us play or draw! How do I get her to sit down and listen to me? I am upset because it makes me feel like a bad parent and that she is behind!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• So draw the picture and write the letters underneath it, that way she can connect the 2.
    You have to make it fun. Make it a game.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Who says you have to sit to learn?
    Go outside and get out the paint, paint large letters and numbers.

Draw out letters and numbers worksheets and let her color them.
    Pick up some Seasame Street DVDs
    Anonymous

• Drawing and playing is how kids her age learn. When I taught preK we never really sat to learn. We stayed busy. The only time they totally sat still was for circle time, when we did calendar, days of the week, and read a story. Everything else was mainly hands on.
    Anonymous

• Why on earth are you trying to make a 3 year old sit and learn. She'll get enough of that when she really starts school!

Play with her. Teach her through play. When you use the building blocks, it's not just a block, it's a "purple A" block. It's a blue ball. She has 3 dolls. S-T-O-P spells stop.

Play, play, play.
    Anonymous

• She's obviously not ready for structured learning so sneak it in. Use songs or playtime to teach her without her knowing she's learning

Answer by admckenzie at 5:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You are not a bad mom. But you do need to really find out how your daughter learns at this time. Right now, she obviously isn't ready to sit down and learn (heck my 7 yr. old isn't really into sitting down to learn). She wants to play, and that, to a child, IS learning. She isn't behind, not even close, so relax and play with her. Think of all she has learned through play, gravity, bouyancy, architecture (building with blocks), life and death (pull a flower up and it dies quicker), anatomy, I mean there is no limit to how much she has learned. She probably already knows some geometry (the shortest distance between two points is a straight line) she just doesn't know what all these things are called.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• So incorporate the  fun things into learning.  Search for educational coloring pages on the Internet.  Make little crossword puzzles for spelling, or go to the dollar store and get some inexpensive workbooks.  Hopscotch is great for counting, make math a game.  We did addition and subtraction while baking cookies. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:06 PM on Jul. 28, 2009