sleeping through the night

lots of people tell me my baby should be sleeping through the night well hes not hes only just over 3 months seems kind of young to me.
how can i get him to sleep longer he still wakes every 2 to 3 hours to eat hes a breastfed baby so dont tell me to put cereal in his bottle cause he doesnt take a bottle and im not giving him on either.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe he just isnt ready. my son was bottle fed and putting cereal in his bottle (he has acid reflux) didnt help him sleep through the night. it helped to keep his food down so im not suggesting that to you. when he started eating more and more solid foods is when my son started sleeping through the night. i would just be patient and keep with a schedule so he knows what things mean bedtime. good luck!
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• That is ridiculous. I can guarantee you that a tiny percentage of babies this young sleep through the night. I know a handful of people who claim their kids slept through the night at this early age, and most of these people had babies well over 20 years ago, so I kinda doubt they're remembering things correctly. My baby is 4.5 mos. and only recently has been able to sleep for 5 hrs. in a row (5 hrs. or more in a row is technically sleeping through the night). She is bf'ed and at 3 mos. woke up just as much as your LO. It does get better, but you can let him CIO if you can stand it. We started at about 4 mos. pushing her to 5 hrs. If she woke before then, we'd go in every 10 mins. and pat her back to sleep. We tried giving cereal once or twice before bedtime (not in a bottle) but it did not help any. She wakes out of habit.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Mine was 8 months old before she slept through the night. Tell "people" that the smarter babies are, the less they sleep.

Do you have a good book on child milestones? I love Touchpoints by T. Berry Brazelton. You should be able to pick up a copy at your library; there is also great information on the website: www. touchpoints.org

Answer by rkoloms at 4:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• MY SON WILL BE 8 MONTHS SOON AND STILL WAKES UP AT LEAST 1 TIME IN THE NIGHT ALL BABIES ARE DIFFERENT
    jaksonsmommy

Answer by jaksonsmommy at 4:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Also, don't even ask people when their babies slept through the night. It just frustrates me to hear other people talk about how their 7 week olds sleep for 10+hrs. a night. As they say 'every baby is different' and comparing sleep habits doesn't help anyone. My mom is constantly saying 'oh so and so's baby already sleeps through the night' and I just tell her that I don't want to hear about it. What good does it do me?
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• haha, my ped. also says that bright babies are more fussy and sleep less. I wonder if that's true.
    Anonymous

• My 19 month old still wakes up during the night. Sleeping all night is a developmental milestone that all babies reach at different times. As someone else stated, "sleeping through the night" is 5 hours.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 4:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Mine started at three months, and I'm constantly told I'm lucky. I hear parents of 2-year-olds say their kids still don't sleep through the night. When he's ready, he'll sleep through the night.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 4:47 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My DD is 4 months and she's exactly the same as your son....breastfed and only sleeps for 2-3 hours at night. Our ped told us that we could use the Ferber Method to let her cry it out to encourage her to sleep for longer periods without eating, but I'm just not comfortable with that yet. It's tiring, but I know she will start sleeping more when she's ready. So will yours!
    silvia316

Answer by silvia316 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my duaghter slept from 2-4 months through the night.. she hasn't since =\ and she is now 18 months old.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 6:13 PM on Jul. 28, 2009