Has your child ever hit the lock button for your car & locked the car???

So today has been the most terrifying day of my entire life, I was putting our 13month old Daughter in her Car Seat after we got out of the WIC Office. I got her all strapped in, she grabbed my keys and I didn't realize it. Because, I had a heavy box of formula to put in the Car. When I did realize she had the keys I grabbed them from her, then i started the car up with the air conditioning. So then I shut the door went around the car to put the box in on the passengers side, the door wouldn't open.... Our Daughter had hit the lock button for the car, I ran in the WIC Office they called the Police, they got there within 10mintues, unlocked the car. The #1 thing that I have been freaked out about doing, I done Today. I kept thinking How could I have not noticed, when she locked the Car it didn't make a beeping sound, nothing...... My daughter was sitting there smiling in her Car Seat playing with her toy the whole time. :(

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 4:12 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I locked my son in on accident. He was strapped in his carseat, asleep. When he woke up he was fine but I was crying while waiting for AAA. He started crying when i was crying, then I cried harder lol. Luckily it was decent weather out and not hot or really cold or I would've broken the windows
    Anonymous

• I cried the whole time today and about an hour after it happened, I was just so upset with myself. I was more upset than she was, she didn't cry a bit, she was happy the whole time. I had just watched a show on Oprah like a month ago, about this Principal leaving her Child in the Car and she died. I have never left our daughter in the car, but I couldn't believe she was locked in there and I was on the outside, it made me feel so helpless. I was ready to break that window!!!
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 4:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I was always waiting for that to happen and luckily it never did. I am soo glad that you DD is okay!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Yes, that has happened to me a couple of times. I have finally learned the lesson and now have a hide a key under the bumper. On newer cars it is hard to find a spot with enough metal to put the magnetic box on though.
    It was the best $10 I have ever spent. It has saved me at least five times.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The one I bought is similar to this. I bought mine at Lowes...

http://www.preventsecurity.com/productdetails.asp?c=29&sub=-1&p=2281

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'm going next week to buy one and make an extra key. I think that as the worst feeling I have ever felt.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you for posting that information, I am going to invest in one. I believe Car Company's should make something to were if a parent leaves a child in the car, the police or somebody is notified immediately.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 4:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yes and it is indeed traumatic. My adult dd put her son in my car and like you turned on the car to start the A/C. I had not opened the driver's side door yet and she accidently shut the passenger side door. He hit the lock button and we both looked at each other across the top of the car and said Oh NO! We tried talking him into hitting the button again but to unlock it we had to talk him into getting out of his carseat. Then instead of hitting the button he decided to get in the driver's seat and play with the steering wheel. When he went for the gear shift we almost passed out. Meanwhile dd got on the phone and in tears called my SIL who is a tow truck driver. I swear he made a 15 min trip in about 4 minutes! He flew up behind the car so if it went into gear he couldn't back the car into the street. It was very dramatic and we cried for a while but learned from that lesson. I always carry 2 keys to the car now!

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The whole time the Cop was unlocking the door, he was kind of a jerk about it. I was crying and it was just saying uh huh... uh huh..."Look at her back there, she's just chilling". I was just like get my damn baby out of there! This has been a VERY valuable lesson learned.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 4:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009