when did you realize your child had asthma?

I have a mild case of it and I think my son has it.

effie777

Asked by effie777 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Health

• My son had a severe, allergy induced asthma attack. We found out in the emergency room.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 4:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• we took our son to the er because he wasnt getting enough air in his lungs. they told us he had rsv and a severe case of asthma. his dad has it bad and i have a very mild case of it. we first noticed his allergies....runny nose, itchy eyes, itchy nose, etc....and then it got worse when he was outside...he has the same triggers of asthma as both of us do.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Asthma is very common here in the central valley of CA. My oldest had RSV as a baby and so they were monitoring her from about a year on. My twins were premie so they were monitored from birth. The doctors here won't give a definitive diagnosis of asthma until after 2, because many kids outgrow asthma like symptoms by then. They will still treat it though.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I knew it before the doctor told me. Every cold they got, they had uncontrollable coughing. I knew it was asthma. It only flares up NOW when they have colds, or this past allergy season with my 3 year old. So now they consider him to have environmental allergies too. My 2 year old isn't as bad as the 3 year old.

It was an uncontrollable dry, irritated cough. Only when they were getting sick...and while they had their colds.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• when my 20month old coughed for 31 days..........I have know he has asthma since he was 6months old but this is what it took to get him diagnosed and now on asthma therapy

Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 29, 2009