What will I need for cosmetology school?

Hi!
I'm going to start very soon, and I'd like to know what supplies and things they usually require (besides books) to purchase on your own.
Also, what things do they supply, but I should get my own anyways?
Thanks!
:)

VonWiggles

Asked by VonWiggles at 4:38 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• actually , im a licensed cosmo. and any school ive ever heard of, your supplies are a part of the cost. I recieve a huge suitcase, like thing with all my supplies needed for the school in it, it came with rollers, pins, clips, comb brush, cutting shears and thinning shears, perm rods, and other things, and then when i got to school within the first week i recieved my manican head, hich is what youll be practicing all your cuts, styles and colors on.
    Hope this helps
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 4:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I have had my license for 12 years, when I went to school, you had to supply all your own things, (hope not to discourage you), i mean everything, styling products, combs, scissors, perm rods, disinfecting solution, although now some schools have packages you can buy from them that is just a basic starter kit, luckily for me, a 99 cent store was across the street i bought all the styling products there, the other stuff like combs, rods, etc you can get at the beauty supply, You have to do a certain number of hours of every thing (cuts,perms, color, etc), and that means a lot of people to work on so don't buy expensive styling products you'll go broke
    Anonymous

• I would wait to buy anything..and see what your school does offer first, because hers was 12 yrs ago and mine was 4 so ..it really just depends on the school..
    Ilovemychi

Answer by Ilovemychi at 4:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Ilovemychi: you definately went to a better school than me, yeah its been a while for me, it really does depend on the school, Good Luck VonWiggles, hope you have fun! BTW funny story from beauty school back in the day, long story short: when you do a perm make sure you know if there hair is color treated or not so you use the right solution, I was the one who got the perm with the wrong solution, I had to cut my hair sooooooo short after that cuz my hair was mush, but i ended up liking the short hair cut..Ha Ha LMAO
    Anonymous

• yeah when I went they had a package deal with everything you needed included. It all fit in a duffel bag. It came with the head.lol They werent the best quality, but it was ok.
    Anonymous

• A drama shield. Most of those girls are caddy and full of drama. Just be sure to not get wrapped up in it. It'll make those hours you have to put in seem like a lifetime.
    jachelle

Answer by jachelle at 6:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My daughter is going to be starting at the Paul Mitchell Academy in Sept. Her fees included all the supplies she would need (scissors, head, brushes, ect) They gave her a list of some putzy stuff she would need to buy on the side like cotton balls, bobby pins ect. When you signed up they should have showed you everything your fees included. Otherwise just give them a call and put your mind to rest.
    MUDDERING

Answer by MUDDERING at 7:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My daughter is starting in September and that is part of her tuition....they get a huge amount of stuff....about $2400 worth of her tuition goes toward all her supplies....all she really needs to get on her own is black comfy pants (probably the stretchy yoga type) and black shoes....everything else, including tshirts, sweatshirts, apron, is paid for...including a rolling suitcase that it all fits into. Call your school, they will be able to let you know.
    Anndie

Answer by Anndie at 8:35 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I know my daughter gets 3 human hair mannequin heads and two sets of "hands" for manicure/acrylic prep...They use all Redken and Revlon/Paul Mitchell Salon Quality products...They are also contracted with a company called Dermatologica, which runs their Esthetics program for waxing, facials, skin care and massages. Once she gets her cosmetology license, she also gets licensed in Esthetics, too...It's an expensive program, but for everything she gets out of it, I think it will be well worth it....She has loved hair and makeup since 4th grade, and I feel like this is what she was meant to do...my little social butterfly that she is!
    Anndie

Answer by Anndie at 8:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i went to school in 1987 (haha..yeah!), and the 'kit' was part of the cost, along with all books, mannequins, products, etc. if you haven't enrolled already, they should tell you what is required for you to bring yourself when you do enroll.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009