i am 35 weeks and i have shingles..

iam really scared... can anyone relate to what iam going trough?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've never had shingles but my ex did- I know they are very painful and I am very sorry you are having this happen now! Make sure to take any meds you have bc shingles are caused by an infection and you don't want to pass it to the baby- although at 35 weeks that is very unlikely to happen, still why risk it? Good luck hon and I hope you get to feeling better soon!!!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 4:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You delted your first question when you got some iffy answers, so my long reply didn't go through....

All drugs are given a Catagory label which determines if it's safe during pregnancy. Just go to yahoo or google, type in the drugs name and "safe during pregnancy"

See my next post..........

The catagories are:

Category A: Controlled human studies have demonstrated no fetal risk
    Category B: Animal studies indicate no fetal risk, but no human studies
    OR adverse effects in animals , but not in well- controlled human studies
    Category C: No adequate human or animal studies,
    OR adverse fetal effects in animal studies, but no available human data.
    Category D: Evidence of fetal risk, but benefits outweigh risks.
    Category X: Evidence of fetal risk. Risks outweigh any benefits.

Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Most of the meds to treat shingles are safe to the baby, and the pain meds too. Bc you are 35 the risk to baby is minimal at best, it can casue birth defects if mom is exposted and infected before 30 weeks. This is a really good link to help ease your mind. I hope this helps, http://shingles.emedtv.com/shingles/shingles-and-pregnancy.html

midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• And you and baby should be fine to take anti biotics or anti-viral medication. For over a year I was under the assumption I had Genital Herpes because I was diagnosed based on LOOKING at it rather than doing a culture (I had no insurance at the time)

Many pregnant women that have Genital Herpes take their anti-viral medications close to the end of their pregnancy to prevent an outbreak so they don't pass it to the baby during vaginal birth, or they have c-sections if they do have an outbreak at the time of labor. Taking the medication is PERFECTLY safe!

Thank goodness when I had my blood work at my first OB visit for this pregnancy the HSV1 and 2 test revealed I didn't have herpes at all! So, it's no longer a worry, but my year of believing I had it caused me to read up a lot about it....shingles, cold sores, chicken pox are all forms of herpes, you may have had it for years and it's just been dormant until now
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• anyone that had chicken pox as a child can get shingles fyi
    Anonymous

• I am 35 weeks pregnant as well and was just diagnosed with shingles on Tuesday. My doctor prescribed 1 gram of valacyclovir 3 times per day for 7 days and told me I could take acetaminophen. I have a pretty severe case from what I understand and there are three things that have been helping to manage the pain: 1. ice packs on the blisters 2. oatmeal baths (aveeno has a good packet otherwise put 1 cup of oatmeal in a clean sock over the faucet as you run your bath water). 3. Two acetaminophin every 4 hours without fail. The other thing my doctor did was send me straight to the hospital for a 'non-stress test' for the baby which I'll now have every week until delivery. Having that test was a HUGE relief to me and only took about 20 to 30 minutes if all goes well. If you have the option to have one done I would say do it - it might give you some piece of mind. Just be sure to eat breakfast and be fully hydrated.
    shannon2868

Answer by shannon2868 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 2, 2010