called CPS about suspected child abuse and now i need advice

I run a childcare and just started watching two boys, 3 and 8yrs. At lunch they started telling us how they get hit with a paddle and belt. The 8yr old showed me some small bruises on his legs. I called the abuse center, cause I care about these kids and also its my job. The mom is going to be contacted to and now im Soo nervous about whats going to happen. The mothers boyfriend is the one the kids clame left he bruises. If anyone has been threw this let me know how you handled it and what to expect. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• You did the right thing. I just hope they actually DO something. Just telling her not to let her BF discipline the kids could turn out disastrous. What if he gets mad at them for telling you what happened, and beats them some more?

And it disgusts me to see people condemning you for calling CPS. These attitudes are the exact reason countless cases of child abuse go unreported. The children usually grow up to be abusers themselves. If the violence didn't escalated and eventually cause their death before they even had a chance to grow up, that is. KUDOS to you! Someone needs to be an advocate for those children!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• you should have told the mother before you called CPS on her family. that's messed up, she could lose the kids and not even know this was happening.
    Anonymous

• If you reported it then that should be all that involves you. I've called CPS before and that was the end of my part in it.

Good for you though. We just had 2 ppl arrested here for not reporting abuse so those children are very lucky to have you to care enough and for you to know it's the right thing to do to report it.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:57 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• actually the first poster is not correct (per the local child advocacy authorities). They were on the news last night saying you do NOT inform the suspected abusers. You turn it over to the authorities and leave it alone so they can do their job and check things out. They don't always go immediately to the home. They do begin background checks though to see what they are dealing with.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• There is no need for you anyone else to give a "heads" up on calling CPS. It's suspected and you should have called more so since it's coming from their mouths. If the mother didn't know, she should have!

Anonymous

• I AM REQUIRED BY LAW TO REPORT ABUSE OR I CAN LOOSE MY CHILDCARE! this Family also has a history of past abuse. I dont regret calling, If my husband/boyfreind was beating my kids i'd want someone to try to help me. AND IM NOT SUPPOSED TO CALL THE PARENT FIRST-
    THATS WHY ABUSE KEEPS HAPPENING CAUSE PEOPLE WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT
    Anonymous

• anon :56 that was he job. She has to basically oath to calling right away. Calling the mom is left to police and other officials.
    Anonymous

• it's a good thing you didn't ignore it. i have heard too many stories of it being ignored till it was too late
    my brother and i were taken once. i was like 5 and he was 3. babysitter didn't show or something and dad had to go in to work so he left us alone for a while. i was napping on the couch and my brother answered the door when my babysitter stopped by to see just what she thought she would. so she called and the next thing i remember is seeing my dad brought to us in handcuffs and sayin he was soooo sorry. don't think he ever did anything like that again. can't believe he did that in the first place. that is just tooo young!
    batsonsgirl

Answer by batsonsgirl at 5:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i agree with the above...i understand standing up for the kids but MAYBE mom didnt know..now her name is gonna go threw the ringer...then again she might know and gets what she deserves...cps was called to my house once not due to me it was my x my dd's dad...i was at school one night and i guess our dd was being a brat..anyways my x threw a book and it did hit her i found out the next morning and went to his work reamed him a new one to never do anything like that again or he will be hurting by me..needless to say her school saw a bump asked her and it went from there...but the teacher did talk to me first and i was ok with her calling cause it wasent me it was an accedent and i was willing...they came talked to my x and did determine it was just a "bad night" and the case was closed. but there were a few parents that did hear about it got one side story and treated me like an outcast and gave me looks and attitude. cont
    Anonymous

• THE CHILD PROTECTIVE PPL ARE COMING TO MY HOME TO LOOK AND TALK TO THE KIDS FIRST. THEY HAVE THEM IN THEIR SYSTEM ALREADY DUE TO PASS ISSUES. THEY WILL THEN TALK TO THE MOM ALONE WITHOUT THE BOYFRIEND.. I DONT REGRET CALLING JUST WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONES BEEN THREW THIS?
    Anonymous