Forward facing car seat?

About 2 months ago I bought a new convertible car seat for my DD because she was getting too big for the infant one AND we had a long road trip coming up and I wanted her to be comfy!! I love it and so does she.

My question; Can I leave her facing backwards as long as she is not cramped? She is now one (in a week) and is over the 20# mark. But I would love to keep her as safe as possible. Should I keep her backwards as long as she is comfy? Or do you need to turn them once they hit that age, height, weight requirement for froward facing?

DirtyMonkey

Asked by DirtyMonkey at 4:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Check the laws in your state,but I would say, if she is comfy, let her be.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 5:01 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You can leave them rear facing for as long as you want. Look up the term Extended Rear Facing in google, there are groups of moms that are adamant about leaving their children rear facing longer. One year is the EARLIEST you can turn them around.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 5:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The age and weight requirements are MINIMUMS! You do NOT have to turn her around until she reaches the maximum weight and/or height for the seat. Kids do not actually get as cramped as WE might think. They can actually be more comfortable and there is no risk of harm if their legs are long and reach the back of the seat. Many kids cross their legs or do something else and are perfectly fine. My 19 month old will be rear facing until he reaches the maximum height and weight for his seat. Check out the carseat safety group here for more information.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:21 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You can leave her rear-facing as long as she is under the height and weight limit of the seat as it is rear-facing. Usually it's about 35lbs. Check the manual for your seat.

20lbs and one year is the recommended minimum. It is only the law in about 9 states.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The great thing about the convertible seats is that they're meant to go from 5lbs up to 40 (or more, depending) and obviously at 5lbs they HAVE to be rear-facing. I kept my son rear-facing until he was 2 and 30 because it's the safest way to go. At that point, his legs were too long and ran into the back of the seat while his knees were still bent. He was perfectly happy NEVER BORED being rear facing, and especially if it's a long trip, it's easier for them to sleep because they're closer to being fully reclined.

Check the safety manual to make sure it's installed right, and by all means, keep her rear facing for another year!
    l_to_the_e

Answer by l_to_the_e at 6:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Isn't there a brand of carseat that is approved for up to something like 50 pds. I could have sworn I read about one. I can't remember the name but it started with a "B".
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009