DS and No school Supplies

I understand that their are people who are suffering financially and this question is not about them. I have seen alot of complaints about the cost of school supplies but I see kids with so many things. I know the lists are long with alot to buy at once, but why are parents willing to spend $150 on a Nintendo DS but not on school supplies for their education for the whole year? Seems priorties are messed up...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in

• yeah I agree. My mom never bought me anything but a keyboard so I could play at home. But she made sure I had all of my school supplies none the less
    Anonymous

• I don't know anyone who has kids with DS's and not able to afford school supplies. It could be that the DS was bought last year when people still had jobs.
    Anonymous

• People's finances can change in an instant.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My only problem with buying school supplies was the huge list that is given before the year begins along with all the other stuff you have to buy before school (new clothes, shoes, backpacks, etc) & then all those school supplies get put in one big cupboard "for the whole class" to use and then literally I would get a note from the teacer every 2 month saying "our class is running low on ___________". I understand that kids use the stuff & it needs to be replenished, but then we were told by some of the other school staff that (at least in our district) the teachers were given a budgeted amount to buy discounted school supplies for the classes at a bulk rate. And then we found out that my sons teacher was taking all the school supplies home that we (the parents) provided and using them for her own children and he husbands business.

That is just my own experience & I never buy my kids toys if I can't buy the necessities
    Inkedmommy007

Answer by Inkedmommy007 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• How do you know they didn't buy those things before the hard times or that the things were not a gift? Quit judging
    Anonymous

• Not trying to be judgemental. I have to budget and work very hard to pay for things.Seems other people spend money they have then cant pay for necessities when they come up. I know someone who used tax money every year for new furniture, next year a new car but could never pay for her kids lunches or supplies. She could have saved that money to use during the year, but lots of people arent good money managers and just want what they want when they want it.
    Anonymous

• If someone has the money to buy their child a nintendo DS or any other type of toy that he or she sees fit for their child. GOOD FOR THEM! Good for them who work hard for their kids to treat them once in a while... I think the problem most people have with school supplies (I know I would if my kid's school ever did this) is the taking for the whole class and making a common community pot of school supplies. That is when it becomes unfair because 1 or 2 parents may be providing for the entire class, personally I would feel like a low life if someone elses parent had to buy the pencils & folders for my little girl. I see the complaint being why buy for the whole class when I just have 1 child in this class...
    Supervane

Answer by Supervane at 9:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't understand how people can't afford school supplies.
    Office Max has boxes of crayons for 1 penny. You can buy three boxes for 3 cents.
    They also have .20 scissors. .25 for an entire tub of erasers.
    Target has .50 pencil boxes. .60 for a pack of 5 spiral notebooks.
    .50 for Rose Art paints. .22 for crayons. .20 for index cards. .22 for 4 glue sticks
    .33 tissues. I've also seen .1 and .5 folders. .20 packs of pens and .20 packs of pencils.
    I mean I don't get it. You can get everything for a few bucks if you shop around!!!
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah and Target also has an entire big pack of construction paper for .88
    Anonymous

• I don't know why some parents complain so much. I don't have a lot of money but there is someone always worse off than me and if my son's school supplies have to be used to help a child whose family really has nothing, I DON"T CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rather help others get an education than see a kid fail because they don't have the proper supplies. In my district, the teachers get NO MONEY for classroom supplies, the teachers buy supplies out of their own money so NO CHILD goes without. If I can help out, good. I would do or buy anything for my son's education and if it helps someone else also, all the better. STOP complaining and be thankful your child is alive to have an education. I know parents that would love that to be true.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:05 AM on Jul. 29, 2009