breast feeding

my son is 6 days old, while i was in the hospital and 2 days afterward my boobs were huge and full of milk or colestrum. well each day that goes by its like im producing less and less. i just pumped and it wasnt even an ounce but like 3 days ago when i pumped i made a full ounce... is my milk drying up? im breast feeding him and only using the pump about once a day to give myself a break, it really hurts when he feeds off me because my nipples are sore and chapped. what can i do

ALLIE637

Asked by ALLIE637 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• your milk supply should be fine, the fullness you are talking about is engorgement and that happens when your milk comes in, your breast do go down after the initial time whe nit comes in, as for pumping, I have never been able to pump more than an ounce, the baby was so much better than I was LOL. Are you feeding on demand, is the baby have 6-8 wets a day, if so he/she is getting enough. As for the soreness, is the baby latched on correctly, you want him to get more than just the nipple and when you take him off do you break the suction with your finger first. Your breast will toughen up so to speak, call your local LLL group and ask if you need someone to come out to the house.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i agree with midnightmoma, pumping is often difficult, i could only pump a few oz until my son was around a month old, then i could pump several bottles, and then by the time he was 6 months, i couldnt pump anything! go by what your baby is telling you. if she has enough wet diapers, she is getting enough. there is an interesting story myths which decrease supply which goes through lots of common 'advice' which isnt actually very helpful you might find helpful. good luck on your breastfeeding journey, it is often hard to master, but once you figure each other out, you wont regret for a minute sticking it out through the hard part.

katiemum

Answer by katiemum at 6:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Sounds like your supply is regulating, which is what you want. If you are nursing on demand, and changing 6-8 diapers a day, then there is no supply issue. Pump output doesn't mean anything other then you don't respond well to a pump.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• It's normal for supply to regulate after time. You start out in milk making hyper mode when it first comes in. Then your body gets used to your one baby's number of feedings and makes just enough for them to eat. Not plenty more. It's normal and fine. NEVER LET A PUMP MAKE YOU THINK YOU'RE DRYING UP! for one, this doesn't happen without fault of the mother. second, a pump CAN NOT express what a baby can. it's not that you're making less, it's that it just can't get it all cause it's not a pump. there is ZERO need for pumping this early on. just feed on demand. it's normal for it to hurt like hell in the beginning. but check with a lactation consultant to make sure your latch is correct. use nipple cream for the pain. you can also hand express some milk and let it air dry on your nipples. i put shredded iced carrots in my nursing pads. message me if you need more help. also join breastfeeding groups here. they're way more help.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• t's not that you're making less, it's that it just can't get it all cause it's not a pump.

sorry. i meant to say cause it's not a baby. duh.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:17 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The above answers pretty much covered it. I also wanted to echo what Jess said about the pump. I successfully breastfed two kids, and never offered them any formula ever, BUT I couldn't pump worth a damn. I would get about an ounce or two after half an hour. I had no shortage of milk, but I just couldn't get it to pump out.

If you were pumping constantly, your body would eventually get used to it and you would get a lot more. I have a friend who pumped exclusively because her baby never did latch. She pumped over a year and could get up to 12 ounces in 10 or 15 minutes! Even so, a baby can get out more. :)
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Many women are TERRIBLE pumpers; pumping is no reflection on how much milk you produce.
    I found pumping more painful than breastfeeding (that started to dissipate by 7weeks).

Use breastmilk and Lasinoh cream on your nipples and let them "air dry."
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:24 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• How much you can or cant pump is not an indication of how high or low your supply is. Some women cant pump at all but they can breastfeed just fine!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:24 AM on Jul. 29, 2009