A Little Worried

My son is 19 months old and his appetite is worrying me a little. When I fix him breakfast he eats only half of what I fix him (which is usually an egg with toast or cereal with fruit) . When I fix him lunch it's the same thing I fix him whatever from a sandwich to a lunchable to a grilled cheese and usually a veggie to go with whatever. Dinner I fix him a 3 coarse meal and he doesnt eat it! I don't know how to make him eat! Any Advice?

tonia_h

Asked by tonia_h at 5:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• good rule of thumb, portion sizes should be about the size of his palm, he will not starve, when he is hungry he will eat. You can push back dinner or cut out snacks too close to dinner. If he doesnt eat with you, you can cover it and he might eat it later. If he is gaining weight and on track with his growth chart, dont worry to much. Kids that age also love to eat on the run, meaning they are always on the go and sitting still for dinner might be hard for him. Something else might have his attention.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• well he is going to eat what he needs. he may not be hungry for all of the food that you give him. try smaller portions and see if that helps. maybe the portions are too big for him right now. he will eat when he is hungry, too.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• My son eats like a bird also - in fact, he has like a flu bug, sore throat achy tummy and he didn't eat at all yesterday - scares me SO BAD! but I keep hearing that too - that they will not starve themselves.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree, kids won't starve themselves. As long as he is otherwise behaving normally and growing appropriately, I wouldn't worry. Aim to make sure what you offer him packs the maximum nutritional value (i.e. try whole wheat pasta vs regular and whole grain breads vs white). I found that skipping a morning snack and giving only a midafternoon snack helped him eat better at meal (I'd give an extra snack if he really got hungry which does happen). I also found that giving him milk when he got up and offering him something to eat but waiting about an hour after he gets up before pushing breakfast made a huge difference. He often will eat a whole waffle. This sort of replacess a morning snack. He also did better eating dinner later than I would have expected (i.e. waiting until 6 or later when we eat). Doing a reality check on toddler portion size also helps. They're really small...
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'm a first time mother, but my mom ALWAYS tells me, they will eat when they are hungery. And, yes, do a reality check on what their portion sizes should be really helps!
    RyansMom0604

Answer by RyansMom0604 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yea they will eat when they get hungruy trust me my son has somdays when all he does is eat all day long and i still think he dont get enough
    lagurl

Answer by lagurl at 12:18 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• children eat when they want to eat. sometimes our son can go a day with only eating say fruit or a carb. He usually makes up for it the next day. As long as they are going to the bathroom normally and nothing else is different... make the food, tell him it's there, and that's that!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 29, 2009