whats the point of the babyshower if you dont expect gifts

i work at babies r us and ppl on cafemom seem to think its wrong to have registries or expect gifts. why the fu## would u have a babyshower then. to waste money on a party and not get anything in return, may i add, right before your baby is here? taht doesnt make any sense. I see people all of the time and they have 100 or more items on their registry and I think thats normal, to want what ur baby needs and ask for it on a registry so there are no duplicates

that way after the shower what ever you didnt get you can go get urself. sorry I just seeen this in a group and I thought that I wanted more opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree. Babyshowers are so family and friends can get together and give gifts and well wishes for the parents-to-be. It's the tradition.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 5:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I feel exactly the same way I used to work babies r us registry too
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Well, I certainly do not want ANY of my friends or family to feel like they HAVE to bring a gift or they aren't welcome to celebrate this baby with me. My baby shower is for people to come and wish me luck and rub my tummy. I suppose more than the gifts I want the attention! Presents are nice too though...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I dont think a registry is a way of saying u HAVE to get a gift but the fact is =most people to buy gifts for a shower and u register so that u can tell people what u had in mind for the baby.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I had people not come to mine because I had registered and my hostess had stupidly included a note about my registry. Those who didn't come felt obliged to bring a gift and couldn't afford one...so some of my best friends weren't at my shower because I registered.

I would have rather had a gathering with my friends than gifts....agreed that the gifts are nice...but friends are nicer.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• i just dont know n e body that wouldnt go to a shower cause they couldnt afford a gift, lots of people came to mine with only a card
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 5:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You don't have to bring a gift to a baby shower. Yes it is for family and friends to help if they can in needs for the baby or give something that would be from them for you to use. I don't think there is a law that you have to bring a gift. Or expect a gift from everyone. But a babyshower is for the family to get gifts. Kind of like a bridal shower. HMMMMMMM>
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I agree I have a registry up and I know I have necessities on there, no clothes or anything, just other stuff and Its basically a wish list for what I want for the baby. But I expect to get gifts. Why would I have a baby shower, have someone waste their time and money planning it, if I dont get anything. Plus thats how my family is A CLOSED MOUTH DOESNT GET FED. and thats who goes to baby showers Family so if they wanan buy, im not gonna stop them. but i know some ppl cant get anything and thats okay too because they care enough to show up

I wish that when I have my shower I can take the gifts home to open but I know tahts kind of rude, but I just hate the spot light, and I'd rather put the attention on someone else, like my mom or my hubby. I think Im going to have hubby open the gifts with me so I dont have everyone staring at me lol....sorry i got to vent a little
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:44 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I went to a shower that was a Native American Blessing for the baby. It was a very cool experience where everything had a symbolic meaning. Each person took a turn to massage the mother's feet with sand telling her why she was special to us and giving a blessing for the baby. Everyone went around the circle saying their name, their mother's name, their grandmother's name as far back as they could remember the women in their family and saying what was special about them. There were a couple a prayers, ect. Overall it was a very moving experience. After that part was over... her sister switched the tone to a more American style baby shower with cake and gifts.

Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:52 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• All of my friends know that gifts are not a requirment for our parties. I know who among my friends struggles with money and when I know they will not attend something, I address it directly. I have had times in my life where money was tight and I felt embarrased. There were also some people who would make me feel bad if I could not afford an expensive gift. I would never do that to a friend. I will gladly add someone's name to a gift that I have purchased so they feel comfortable to come. And I send thank you cards to people who come to my parties even if they did not bring a gift with a "Thank you for sharing in our special day" type message. This lets people know that it was okay that they didn't bring a gift and that I jus appreciated them being there.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:56 PM on Jul. 28, 2009