what do I do with a mom that demands respect ?

But she doesnt give you any. She always insulting me and calling me names .And on top of that she saids she saids what she saids because she loves me, lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Relationships

• Are you talking about my mother???? LOL. Sorry.
    I've done it back to her, fought with her, screamed/yelled with her. I've learned that I just walk away from it when she's being demanding and over bearing. When she wants to talk down to me, I get off the phone or just don't go around her for a week or so.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 5:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I would do it back to her and let her see how it feels and you can be, well its because I love you too I thought I would try and show it more often

or just dont be around her at all unless u like it
    Anonymous

• i just ignore her. after a few yrs it's seems to be getting accross that she doesn't nag as much anymore.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Tell her she has to EARN respect and she'll never get it by being rude

Answer by admckenzie at 6:20 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I am a mom to adult children, with children of their own. It is hard to find your place when your kids grow up and have families of their own. Maybe your mom is just having a hard time figuring out where she fits in, what her "job" is in the family. I step back and let my children be the parents, and I respect them to make their own choices, I have to trust in the way I raised them. It is hard, but I know they are adults and they do things their own way. Maybe your mom needs to read the book, "12 rules for being a Grandparent"....it's also about how to treat and relate to your adult children.

If you can't get your mom to listen and find her place, then you may have to limit time with her.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 7:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• You can't change the way she is, but you can and should respect her in the office of your mother. It would be the same thing as respecting the President of the United States as an office even though you didn't respect the man who occupied that office. There may be times when you need to respectfully say something back to her. I'm not advocating that you take abuse. If she calls you a derogatory name, it is perfectly respectful of you to ask her to please not call you that. Maybe if you repeat that often enough, she may even stop calling you names. If she says she is expressing love to you in a way that doesn't feel loving, you could tell her that you don't feel loved when she speaks to you in that manner. The main thing is that you do not respond in kind to the way that she speaks to and treats you. Sometimes the older can learn from the younger. I've seen that happen on several occasions.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:40 PM on Jul. 28, 2009