Nuts in school..... hell yes!

This is be anonymous so I don't get a ton of nasty mail filling up my box. This is my OPINION.

I pay a lot of money to send my children to private school. The school has been opened for about 15 years. Last year, the year my ds started, they went to a No Nut Policy for preschool and kindergarten (only). At the time, my son would ONLY eat PB&J for other people. (we had lots of problems with him eating as a baby, low weight, marathon feeding schedule, weekly dr appointments, etc) Also, he had a hypoglycemic mini seizure type episode once when he was sick and wouldn't eat anything all day. There was only ONE new child coming into the school who had a peanut allergy. That means the rest of us had to change for this one child. I think the family should have been told that we are NOT a peanut free school and then they could decide if they wanted to attend or not. I will cont. below with my reasons.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have to agree with the OP as well. While I generally feel for the parents of allergic children, because God knows how terrifying it must be to wonder EVERY SINGLE day if your child is going to come in contact with said allergens and possibly go into anaphylactic shock, I cannot see myself trusting other people to make sure they are safe if the allergy is THAT bad. Yes, it would suck that they would miss out on so much, but i'd rather my child stay at home and LIVE than possibly die due to someone else's carelessness toward the allergens. What about the OP's son? If he doesn't eat he can go into a hypoglycemic SEIZURE hit his head, and DIE. It's a no-win situation. What are we going to do next? Ban all dairy products for those allergic? Make school lunches completely vegan to please them? We can't please everyone and once we start trying to...it all goes downhill.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:19 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Agreed. You can't cater to EVERYONE personally. That's part of life. What about the lactose intolerant kids...gonna take milk and dairy away too?? Or children allergic to fruits...no more applesauce or strawberries for any kids period then, right? C'mon, that is extreme. You can't expect others to suffer because of different needs and issues. I would be PISSED
    Anonymous

• 1. If your child could DIE from exposure to peanut butter, they should always carry an epi-pen and know how to use it. Period. That's life or death. A 5 yo can be taught to use one.

2. I have no problem with all the teachers knowing how to use an epi-pen and having several available at the school.

3. Why should I have to change my child's diet to meet your child's disability?

4. If they could DIE..... DIE.... why are they in school? I would homeschool if that were the case with my child.

5. If they could die, you're relying on every parent, nanny, older sibling, grandparent, to be diligent with packing a lunch so your child doesn't die. Let's say your kid has 15 kids in their class... with just the parents, that's 60 people you're depending on to pack a safe lunch. Add in the other people and that number could easily double. You trust that many people? Teach your child to use their pen.
    Anonymous

• If he's taking his lunch to school I don't see the big issue. Just make sure to tell him NOT to share with the new kid, and all should be well. The teachers are probably just scared of a lawsuit if the child somehow gets a hold of a peanut (which can kill if he doesn't have his medication). I can understand the peanut parent's fear, but the teachers should just watch more closely for him at mealtime. Banning peanuts seems a little overboard to me- I have a Severe allergy to Strawberries (one strawberry would kill me) but my parents and teachers didn't ban strawberries in school- in fact they served them in the cafeteria!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 5:59 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• 6. What if my child eat a bagel with peanut butter on it for breakfast and goes to class with some on their hands, touches your child, and your child dies. Teach them to use the epi-pen

7. What if someone else packs a lunch one day and doesn't know about the allergy. Should they feel guilty for the rest of their lives b/c YOU didn't teach your child to use an epi-pen?

8. What about all the other million places your child will go, do you require all those places to be peanut free? How can you?

9. Why is it everyone else's responsibility to take care of your child?

I guess what I'm trying to say is..... Teach your child to use their epi pen before they start school. That's the only way to guarantee they'll survive. Relying on 100 other people, at the very least, to be as diligent as you are about reading labels is asking too much.
    Anonymous

• That should have read "Can only kill if he doesn't have his medication" Sorry!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 6:00 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I feel for the parents of the child with the allergy and understand they are concerned and terrified, what parent wouldn't be...but I think that asking them to cut peanuts out of the school seems a bit extreme. Are all schools in his school career going to do so realistically? Maybe home schooling would be best. It's a tough situation, I am sure they want to socialize him and are trying to do their best, but ultimately not everyone can change their ways and what their children eat for one child who has an allergy. Just my opinion. Don't know much about food allergies, I have been fortunate enough not to have to deal with that, so please don't bash me.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 6:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• A child shouldn't use an epi-pen on a regular basis in order to stay alive so that your child can have a PB&J. Some children are so allergic that any contact with peanuts can kill them, so just because a child has a severe allergy, he shouldn't be able to attend school with other children?

Of course, the child should still have the epi-pen with him, but is it really that great of an inconvenience for you? If this was a public school would you be fine with it, it's just because you're paying for the school?

"Why should I have to change my child's diet to meet your child's disability?" How terribly selfish of you. It's a sandwich, maybe a cracker too. They aren't asking you to become vegans.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:04 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't even see a problem with a peanut free lunch table. But why ban all peanut products. Do you know how much stuff has peanuts in it or is made where things have peanuts in them?

In my situation, it pissed me off b/c we've never been a peanut free school and b/c of this ONE child we now have to be and I PAY to send my child there. I think when you make a policy about being peanut free, you're actually opening yourself up to lawsuits if something happens. You tell the parent there's no peanuts, their kid dies from peanuts at school, all the sudden, you've been negligent. Realistically, the school can't check every single snack/lunch. So the parents should be told it's their responsibility to teach their child to use an epi-pen, sit at a peanut free table, don't share food, etc.
    Anonymous

• I think it's crazy too. If the child's allergy is so severe that he/she can't even be in the same room with peanut butter, then that child has no business being in any public place. Even if all the partents of all the children in the school are fully compliant with the no peanut policy, what's to stop one of the kids from slipping a pack of peanut butter crackers in their backpack?
    Anonymous