how do you know??? PLease help me !!

I made meatloaf for the fist time today and i don't know if its done what is it suppose to look like when its done most of the meat looks done but still has a pinkish tent could that be because of the tomato sauce??? I dont want to taste it cause i am pregnant and dont want to get sick if its not done and there is no one else home.

newmom183

Asked by newmom183 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Food & Drink

• If there is a pinkish tint, it could be from the tomato sauce. I don't use tomato sauce or ketchup in my meatloaf, so I don't have this problem. I usually cook mine for about 45 at 375. The meatloaf actually pulls away from the side of the pan.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:11 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• keep cooking it if you're not sure. it should be brown all the way through.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:03 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• The outside of the meat is a darker brown, if the inside is pink then it is not done all the way. I usually cook mine for about 1 hour at 350 degrees.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I take mine out of the oven about 15 minutes before it "should" be done and pour the grease off, put the tomato sauce (or ketchup like I use) on it and put it back in.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Do you have a meat therm? If so it should read 160 degrees. I'd stick it back in for another 15-20 minutes (if you don't have a therm.)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:15 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• after having salmonella SEVERAL times from roasted chicken bought at the store, i bought a meat thermometer and use it for EVERYTHING now...i highly recommend it...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:18 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Stick a knife in the side of it and if the juices run clear it's done...That rule applies to all meat dishes
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:53 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• also another way to make meatloaf thats TEN times faster is once its all mixed...use an icecream scoop and put it into muffin tins, use leaner meat though cause it sits in the fat...i tend to tilt the pan into a cup to remove excess when its done...but its alot quicker and cooks through better...just cook it for 20min at 350
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 29, 2009

• purchase an instant read thermometer for under 10$ at the store! Use it!! It will last a long time, do not put it in the dishwasher! reheat leftovers to 170 degrees!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2009