• In the Spotlight:

What has gotten into my toddler? (pregnancy related)

My son has become extremely grumpy the past few weeks for no reason. And he only acts that way for me. He's never acted like this and he's been to the doctor and everything is fine. I am 4 weeks pregnant and about a week before I found out he started acting this way. What the heck is going on? Where did my sweet little boy go? So is it possible he knows that I'm pregnant or that something is going to change??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Pregnancy

• there's no way, that's just paranoid talk. have you asked him whats wrong? maybe its just the hot weather
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:09 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• aww i know what u mean..tis is the very end of my third pregnancy but my 2 angels have become 2 little terrors beyond belief..thier 20 months and 3 yrs old..
    one thing you can try to do to ease his little mood is tell him all about the baby and let him rub ur belly even though ur only 4 weeks..get him excited....best luck and a healthy happy 40 weeks to you mama!!
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• He's 20 months old and has autism. So, it's really hard to tell what he can and can't understand. But, I do try to talk to him about it and get him excited...but so far no luck.
    Anonymous

• i dont think you're paranoid in the least. it may not be fully that he's changing. we all know that your hormones change when you get pregnant, so it may be that yours are making you a tad more stressed, or more easily frustrated. in turn, he may be feeding off of it, so it makes a nice little vicious circle lol. i know other kids frustrated me more when i got preggo than normal. try as hard as possible to be patient. try finding fun activities you both like to help relieve some stress and anxiety. good luck!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• although i do believe he could know that you are pregnant (my 4 year old son told me there was a baby in my belly at a few weeks, before i even suspected) but i would say he is just going through a stage. i would expect the behavior when the baby will be born soon.

bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 6:16 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• yeah, my son knew i was preggo with #2 before i told him so it is possible. i have a magazine with pictures of actual babies in the womb at different stages in development and everyday we would look at that and see how the baby is changing. at first he could care less, but then he got super into it lol. we also went and bought a cabbage patch doll and practiced changing diapers, getting dressed, and gentle touches. i also pretended to nurse so he would not be suprised by anything the baby does. he was really into helping me take care of 'new baby' (the doll) too. i would show him my belly and we would talk to the baby and pretend he could talk back LOL. my son was 2 at the time lol. now i am pregnant again and do the same stuff with my 17 mo. and he's really into it too
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Thank you so much princessbeth79!! I may have to invest in a "new baby" until ours gets here. Thanks for the great ideas!
    Anonymous