Reading?

As soon as I start reading a book my DS grabs it from me. How can I get him to let me finish a story?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out let me know... My daughter does the same thing! :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:37 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Go with their flow. Try to force an extra sentence each time...but don't force the book. A little more each time, slowly building until you've finished a book.

Start with SMALL books...as in few pages, not dimensions LOL. Make sure there are a lot of bright pictures, etc.

You'll get through a book.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I'd always read to my twins during the day if they brought me a book and I'd just go with the flow.
    I also made reading a part of our pre-bed routine. After they'd brushed teeth and gotten into their cribs, I'd sit on a chair between the cribs and read to them. At first I had to give them each a book to hold while I read but eventually as they got older and used to the routine, they'd sit and listen to the story. Now they're 2 1/2, in their toddler beds and I sit on the floor between the beds to read. Some nights they want to see the pages and other nights they're content to just listen.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:31 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• At this age, don't expect to be able to finish. Let your child lead you in their learning and reading. If they want to grab the book and explore it, let them. When they're done, maybe try again. Start slow, with mostly picture books and books that they can explore (flap books, touchy/feely books, etc.). Make reading interactive as much as you can at this stage. When they are older, they will be able to sit still longer and pay attention to the story more...but right now, let them explore the physical aspects of books, not just the story/words/pictures.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 8:41 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't know how old your son is, but when Timothy -he's two and a half- tries to grab the book away, I ask him if he wants me to finish the book or put it away. Once I finish reading it, then I let him have the book to look at pictures and point out things he recognizes.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:14 PM on Jul. 28, 2009