When do you think a kid is old enough to help you clean up and then old enough to do it themselves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in General Parenting

• never too young to help and it depends on their maturity and dexterity
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• never too young to help, but I wouldn't expect a normal child to do it on their own before 10. I'd hope, but not get too frustrated if I always had to remind them. My 12 year olds finally getting it. Slowly. Sort of. *sigh*.... I change my answer to never!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 6:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• most children can pick up things such as toys around 21/2-3 and then slowly start adding more. We play the "clean up game" so it makes it fun. I also started giving my 8yr old $5.00 every two weeks if he cleans,his room vacuums and makes his bed. I've had no problems since he loves to have his own money, and saves me from having to do it!!
    worried546

Answer by worried546 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• All three of mine have things they do to help (they're 5, 3 and 2) They take care of their own laundry, their own dirty dishes from the table and pick up their own toys.

They also are responsible for cleaning up their own rooms (putting toys away, bedtime toys straightened on the bed (I still have to pull up the covers for the little ones) and shoes in the closet)

There is not now, nor will there be an allowance for helping the family. Eventually, they will have an allowance, and may lose part of it for NOT helping the family...but doing what is expected will not receive money. But that's how we work.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:07 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Mine started helping clean up around the time they turned 1 and started cleaning up on their own when they were 2 or 2 1/2. My 3yo can clean her whole room on her own. I usually have to point out the toys she tosses behind her desk but she'll pick them up and put them away, too. My older kids are 9, 7 1/2 and 6 1/2 and clean up after themselves. They learned to do their own laundry the last couple of weeks (with supervision), empty dishwashers, clean their rooms, clean up toys around the house, take out the trash, sweep, mop, dust, etc.
    They also don't get an allowance. They are part of the family so they have to help take care of the house like everyone else.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:39 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I think that kids should learn at the age they can put something in a box to pick things up. Although I understand that a 1 yr old isn't going to concept that every time he/she plays they have to pick up. My DD was 2 yrs. old and would make her bed the best she could and would pick her toys up, but I used to tell her the sweeper was going to eat it if it didn't get off the floor. She is 6 years old now and she has to help fold her clothes, put them up, clean up her own bathroom (with my help), putting dishes in the dishwasher, and getting trash bags for the trash can. I don't think that she is to young to participate in the family chores, but it was just her and I since she was 1 1/2 and she caught on to the things I do. I make it all fun for her though, and her consequences for being bad will be doing chores, BIG ones alone.
    suzyb1980

Answer by suzyb1980 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• When, a child goes to daycare,they are taught the little clean up song,CLEAN UP ,CLEAN UP,EVERYBODY LOVES TO CLEAN UP!!,so I say at 21/2-3 yrs. old,a child can learn to pick up toys, I often tell the story of my grandson,when Christian was 3,he loved to wash walls and tables,he would grab a blanket,paper-towel,anything,I would wet it for him,my DD would get so mad at me for letting him clean tables,but,now he is 11yrs. old he is a neat freak,his room is spotless, he still helps me by vacuuming,and doing his tables. So,I say it's your duty to inspire your child to clean his surrounding,also teach them how to cook, if,I had time to tell you the things I had to eat because my children and grandkids cooked it for me.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• my kids started helping me sort laundry at 18 months. of course that was just matching up socks (learning colors) at 2 they could put the toys away they got out. My son loves his spray bottle (just water in it)I give him some paper towels, and he cleans everything with it. He is 6 and makes his bed puts clothes in washer (i do the detergents etc) he puts them in the dryer helps me fold puts his own clothes away. he can also help clear the table and is starting to learn how to fill the dishwasher. he likes to water the plants and vacuum. He also likes to feed the cats.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:58 AM on Jul. 29, 2009