What's your favorite way to stay cool on a super hot day?

I'm in Washington, and we have predicted temps up to 101 tomorrow and our base housing has no air conditioners. Looking for ways to keep cool lol. My favorite way right now is sitting in my livingroom reading a book with a fan blowing on me while eating frozen watermelon chunks! A cold shower works too :)

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 6:30 PM on Jul. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ever heard of a swamp cooler? hehe cheapest and best idea! take a roasting pan or something similar, fill it with ice and set it in front of hte fan....feels grerat! just make sure the pan you put it in is deep so water wont get near the fan! safety first!!!!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Oh, frozen watermelon chunks sound soooo good. I think I will have to make some tonight! I like a tall glass of ice water.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 6:32 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• I don't care. I like heat.
    sushibob

Answer by sushibob at 6:33 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Lol sushibob, wish i was like you. Its so hot and humid, feels like breathing in steam lol. I got up to make iced tea and had sweat in places sweat should not be :P
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:36 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• today was the first HOT day of the summer here.. FINALLY NO RAINS :) :) :) : )

lol
    sorry, but it's really done nothing but rain or be cold here (ny)..

today.. dd and I went outside and played together in her little pool and hooked up the hose to run through..

last year, when dd was too little to really go swimming.. I set up a bowl of ice cold water for my feet to soak in, with a book to read.. and a bottle of ice water and cloth, to rub down dd every once in a while to keep us cool.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:29 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• Take a dish towel and wet it with cold water, wrap it around your neck, then sit in front of the fan...really cools you off. And also wear it when your up doing housework or whatever...just keep re-wetting it as needed!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 28, 2009

• OP ~ sounds good to me! Also, keep the shades closed on all your windows and open your windows only about 2-3 inches during the day - just enough for air to circulate. Open them wide in the early morning and when the sun goes down because those are the cooler times of the day.
    Another thing you can do in front of the fan is wet some washcloths and place them on your hot spots - neck, face, abdomen or upper chest, even the bottoms of your feet. Take cool showers during the day and keep your hair up off your neck and out of your face. Wear light weight clothing and as little as possible.
    I hope you get through the day.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:50 AM on Jul. 29, 2009

• Oops! Forgot to mention - drink water!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

• Floating on a raft in my pool, or going to the beach with my children!
    sunnymom3

Answer by sunnymom3 at 9:12 AM on Jul. 29, 2009